Chapter 41

I wake up with Anthony in my arms. I feel the discomfort in the car as I'm lying in a funny position, my head being crooked forward. I used to think the trailer's bunks were uncomfortable - if only I knew this was worse.

I feel Anthony's head on my chest, cuddling around my now clothed body; I didn't want to fall asleep freezing. The only thing I hated about the consistent travel was the change in temperatures.

I hear Anthony take in a deep breath, and then rise up, stretching his sexy bare chest with the room he has in this car.

"Morning beautiful," he says, stroking my cheek.

"Morning," I said back with a small yawn.

I look outside the window. The trees surrounding us are a beautiful awakening to the morning. Anthony changed locations, just to park somewhere safe for the night. I think it's some type of private forest. The place is called Meadow Creek.

He kisses my cheek and throws his body off of mine, unlocking the car and getting something out of the trunk. He pulls a blanket out and comes back inside, throwing the knitted, dark blue blanket over us.

I cuddle him, feeling perfectly comfortable in his warm embrace. I can just fall asleep on his soft skin any day.

Anthony and I stopped at the convenience store to pick a few things up. I grabbed a things like toothpaste and toothbrushes, drinks, cigarettes, etcetera. Even though we haven't exactly mapped out how we're going to do this, or where we're going to go, we're kind of just testing the waters out seeing how this'll float.

I looked up at the mini T.V over the counter with Anthony, placing the items on the desk as we're ready to pay, when all of a sudden I see a picture of me on the screen on CNN with my name down the bottom, and the commentator saying, "That's right Jim, we've got news reports about a young girl running away with lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers Anthony Kiedis, who has been gone for supposedly over three months now."

I look down quickly, grabbing the sunglasses the cashier checked out and place them on my face. Anthony sees this and nudges me, but all I do is slowly point to the screen. He looks up and gasps, as the woman continues saying, "Now, obviously there is a source of concern from both the parents and her close friends, but what I can't figure out, Jim is why they took so long to find her, and are still on the lookout."

"Well Julie, it's funny you mention, I feel as though the majority of the population cut celebrities some slack and don't go as easy on them because of their A-list superiority, partially conducting a lack of punishment on their behalf because of their status."

"But is there a reason to?"

The conversation just goes on and on, and I wait impatiently for the guy to finish bagging our stuff so we can get out of here.

"Thank you," Anthony mumbles, walking quickly out of the store.

"Have a good day," says the cashier. "Wait a minute. You're Anthony Kiedis!"

Anthony turns around, barely getting to the door, and trying not to be rude he says, "Yes."

"Oh man," he walks out from around the counter, "it's a pleasure to meet you," he says, offering his hand out.

Anthony takes it, looking down at the kid's nametag. "You too, uh, Cal."

He looks about my age. Tall and lanky, redhead, lots of acne.

"I love your new EP, Mother's Milk, it's absolutely perfection, I have the vinyl on repeat all day..." the kid is going on and on about how he loves the album so much and whatnot, causing Anthony to answer in frustration. It wasn't noticeable to him, but to me since I've lived with him for a long time now and can pick these things up.

"Anyway, I better get back to work. Great honour meeting you," he wraps up.

Finally.

Cal suddenly does something I didn't expect. He hears Anthony's name on the T.V from behind him, now eyeing me and glancing back at the screen.

"Wait a second..."

I look at Anthony in panic, and he scoots me out of the door first, then quickly pacing behind. As soon as we're out, we run back to the car and slam the door. Anthony pushes the gas petal and backs out of the parking lot, almost killing us in the process.

"Holy shit," I said, gasping.

"That guy recognised us," Anthony said. "I'm sorry, I just wanna get out of here."

I try recovering from that little episode of panic. "You and me both."

After about twenty minutes of driving without any real direction, we hear sirens behind us.

"Fuck!" Anthony screams, picking up the speed of the car.

"Oh shit," I said.

"You better tighten your seatbelt girl, looks like we're in for a ride."

I place my hand on my forehead, refusing to let myself cry again. I can't help but break down every now and then, but now, I really just have this new urge to escape instead of giving up, and I'm not going to let Anthony slip away again. My body is pumping with adrenaline.

"Let's do this," I whisper.

If they're going to try and stop us by whipping out their torches of fire and pitchforks, I will defend myself. Then I'd say to let the flames begin.