Chapter 23

I sit on the kitchen bench chair, sipping my coffee, reading a romance novel. Pretty much all I've been into since Anthony's been away, replacing the main guy in the story with him.

"All that coffee will stunt your growth young lady," Mom jokes, brewing the water in the kettle which now went cold.

I don't respond. I refuse to risk opening my mouth in fear of blurting something that sounds disheartening to them which is probably the truth anyway, but only from anger from what I overheard last night.

"Come on, tell me how "unethical" I am, or how I'm being an "overly dramatic a parent of a teenager who's already fighting many tribulations in her very own school yard and doesn't need her mother to be another Sister," type thing," she quotes me.

I shrug. "Just not in the mood."

She suddenly bangs her coffee mug back down on the bench; I shut my eyes for a moment.

"What is it now, Wren? I try making it up to you, and you're ignoring me."

Dad intervenes saying, "Come on you guys, I don't want any arguing today."

I take in a deep breath, trying to remain civil in a house of what feels like living with untamed wildebeests and wanted to tell her the truth; I've had enough.

"You can't expect for me to meet the most amazing man on earth and take that feeling of bliss away from me," I said, folding my arms.

"Honey, let it go. Does it look like he cares? How many times has he called in the last...how long has it been anyway? Gosh, Wren."

I'm taken back. "Only because Dad screamed at him," I yelled.

"I'm sure he's busy anyway -too busy, for you," she tries throwing in my face, what sounds like getting leftover frustration out.

"Is that why he asked me to go on tour with him, before Dad shooed him away?"

Mom shakes her head. "I can't believe this. We're always pitting at each other because of him, Wren, I thought we weren't going to make a big deal out of this anymore."

"Well you said it's good to get it out, I'm just telling you what's wrong, like you wanted."

I wouldn't call what we're doing arguing exactly, I'm just trying to prove why I'm right; like I seem to be doing everyday.

"I love him," I said truthfully, with all of my heart. "Besides, this isn't the only thing you try to change about me. I see the way you carry on, not listening nor caring about what I wanna do with my life. You never followed your own dreams, so I guess that's why you try taking mine away. It all makes sense."

"Oh God Wren, I don't wanna hear it." She covers her face with her hands.

"Katherine, please, look at her, she's had enough."

"I wanted you to wait until you found somebody, preferably your own age, Wren, and saving yourself so that you don't end up- "

"Like you?"

She gulps. "I just don't want you to make the same mistake I did."

I pause, swallowing the lump forming in my throat. "So I'm a mistake?" I crack out.

"No, I didn't mean it like that," Mom tries reassuring, rubbing my back. "Lord knows I'm telling the truth, that when I saw you for the first time, it was worth it."

"Save it," I said, teary-eyed, running upstairs. There are no words to describe how worthless I feel; like I wasn't supposed to be born. An oxygen thief.