Chapter 27

I awaken to a bump in the road when the trailer makes a turn, causing my head to jolt up. I can smell my own bad breath on the white, crimson pillow and feel the sweat lingering on my body from last night - I have got to take a shower.

I force myself off the bed, watching Anthony sleeping sound on one of the opposite beds; he's so beautiful when he sleeps.

"You don't seem like the rest of 'em," I heard the driver say quietly.

"Huh?" I respond, careful not to wake anyone up.

He turns around for a moment and says with a chuckle, "Well, you're pretty. Just Anthony's type." He turns back around, his voice southern.

"The rest of who?"

"The other girls that he used to bring 'ere," he says casually.

"What other girls?" I said, unintentionally this time a little louder.

"I see a lot of girls with the guys a lot, mainly Anthony. Hah, shoulda seen him before tour, carried a new chick around his arm almost every week. But, you, I have a feeling it'll last."

"It has," I said, although it came out more like a question.

So far.

I see Anthony rising slowly up from his bed, stretching his arms over his head, bare-chested.

"Forget I said anythin'," the driver said one last time.

Anthony makes eye contact with me, smiles, and then said, "I tucked you in last night. You fell asleep in my arms, it was a beautiful sight."

I try smiling back, although it comes off dull. Other girls.

"Hey," he says, swinging his legs out of bed and kisses my nose, wrapping his arms around my body; his skin is toasty warm. "You okay?"

I don't know how I'm going to approach this, but I decide it's not worth holding it in.

"Anthony," I sighed his name, "could we talk?"

"Sure, what about?"

"Well," I rub his forearms, "I'm not making assumptions, but I just thought you'd like to explain all the other girls you'd been with...a week at the most."

He frowns, tilting his head a little. "Who told you that?"

I motion to the bus driver.

Anthony looks at me sympathetically, then giggles, almost as if what I'm saying is completely ridiculous.

"What?"

He looks into my eyes, and gives me a look that reads that I'm the only girl in the world, because in this moment he is mine.

He smirks. "I don't remember other girls," he says.

"Baby, I want you to know something," he continues, grabbing my hands, "it doesn't matter how many women I was with in the past. Those were all just a passing phase. I've never met someone like you before in my life, and I," he pauses, rubbing my cheek gently, "I love you. Please don't ever think otherwise just because of my past. It's called a past for a reason."

I smile, feeling more reassured, although I will admit now having the knowledge that he's done so many other women stings, I won't lie.

"Is that a smile?" he said, searching my face, causing me to smile more. He begins kissing my lips with an, "Mm," sound at the end. "That's my girl. Now, you go and brush your teeth, and think about how much I love you."

"Okay," I said.

I don't know what I was expecting to hear -that perhaps him telling me that what the driver told me wasn't true? I suppose everything can't be perfect, so I just nod my head, trying to accept it. Maybe I'll get over it.