Chapter 21

Mom decided we'd go shopping. Apparently she wants to make up for screaming and hitting me, and for saying I looked like a slut, and so now she's splurging us both on this trip to stores around the center, buying me things. It's hard when you walk into the cassette and VHS store, and all you see is your lover and his band everywhere. I'm not only missing him, I'm reminded of him.

"You alright?" Mom asks.

"Fine," I lie.

"Just looks like your mind is somewhere else."

And so is my heart; with Anthony.

"Well, technically speaking it's right here."

She laughs, then glances to the right and says, "Hey, isn't that your friend Ethan?"

I turn around. "Gosh, what's he doing here?" I ask myself.

"Talk to him," she says, giving me a push in his direction, "you haven't spoken to him in ages."

"No thanks."

After Anthony scared him off? Not sure about that.

"Go."

I roll my eyes and walk towards him.

"Hey," I approach him from behind.

"Hi, Wren," he greets me excitedly. "Anthony's not here, is he?" he whispers, looking around and behind.

"No," I said, a little annoyed.

"Thank God."

"Listen, I'm sorry I haven't spoken to you in a while. I guess I was just...distracted," I said.

"Yeah, that did leave me worrying about you."

I smile. Okay, so maybe I missed Ethan, a little, kind of.

"Hey uh," he leans in closer, "are the rumors true?"

"Rumors are just rumors."

I don't know what people have been saying about me behind my back, but as a general consensus, people should interpret rumors as only rumors because they're lies, hence why they're called rumors.

He nods. "Well I'm glad you're okay."

"Thanks."

I'm glad he didn't ask me about my black eye. It's fading away anyway, that plus makeup over it seems to have got my back.

"Well, I'm gonna get going. It was nice catching up with you," I said.

"You didn't want to talk longer?" Mom asked.

"Not really," I said, taking a sip of my juice and getting onto the down escalator. A headache is starting to arise.

"You know Wren, how about law school? You make great arguments."

I sip again. "I'm good."

"Now don't take it as me pulling you away from anything you really want to do, I promise to not be too harsh on you, that's something I'm working on. Just take it as a suggestion, from someone who never followed her dreams."

"I'll keep it in mind, but right now I'd like to focus on creativity with poems."

"You never told me you wrote poetry."

I seethe a little. "I've been writing them since I was five," I step off the escalator when it reaches the bottom, "don't you remember?"

"Hm, not that I can recall. But that's great sweetie, I'm really glad for you," she says without any real excitement. "You've had enough? You look tired."

I didn't realize the expression on my face,hadn't Mom pointed it out. So I just nodded, never feeling more happy to begoing home, as I missed my bed.