Chapter 7

I shut the door lightly as I walked back into the house.

"I'm back, mom!" I announced.

"Thank goodness! I was starting to worry about you," Mom said.

I chuckled, "I was only gone for minutes."

"I know, I know," Mom said as she got out a napkin and started cleaning the counter.

"No, Mom. I'll do it," I said as I walked to her.

"What is wrong with you?" She pulled my cheek.

"Mom. I'll do it. I'll take care of it." I said as I took the napkin from her. She looked at me, and I shrugged and said, "Please, mom..."

"Fine," she sighed then left the kitchen.

By the time I was done in the kitchen, I went into the living room and mom was on the couch, I walked up to her and tapped her lightly.

"Mom?" I called, "Mom, are you asleep?" I couldn't help but ask.

"MZ, yes, I was asleep," she said as she sat up on the couch, knowing why I had asked her that.

I sighed, "Okay."

She looked at me for a while, then said, "I'll go to my room now." She kissed my head, "Good night, baby."

I watched her as she left.

I hadn't been seeing things. She really was leaner.

*

"Tell me about yesterday's party," I said to Bambi as she kicked off her shoes and sat cross-legged on my bed.

"Not much happened. Ryan was there, but he left really early."

"What was wrong?"

"I don't know. He didn't say," she replied, "And then, I have no idea where Tanner was-"

I started coughing all of a sudden.

"Kenzi? Are you okay?" Bambi asked me.

"Yeah, yeah, sure. I'm fine"

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. why would you think I'm not?" I asked.

"Because, when I mentioned Tanner's name, that's when you had to cough."

"Mere coincidence," I said, throwing my hair back. It usually caused me a lot of heat, and that was why most times, it was thrown back in a bun.

"What happened?" Bambi was able to see through me. I wasn't able to lie to her sometimes.

"Look, it wasn't actually anything-"

"Alright, so just tell me."

I sighed, "Fine. I met Tanner."

"Where?" She looked amused.

"I was going to my spot and then, I saw him."

Her eyes widened, "Oh?"

"Don't get any funny thoughts in that fine head of yours. He was still an asshole to me."

*

Monday morning, I flew downstairs as I held my jacket in my hand.

"Bye, mom!" I shouted.

"Bye, MZ!" Mom called from her room.

I walked out to see Bambi waiting for me.

"How do you manage to make it here on time?" I asked as I sighed and sank into the passenger seat.

She shrugged, "How are you?"