Chapter 62

Authors Note
I need you guys to let me know you've been on this journey with me on Mackenzie by simply commenting your name or voting anything else.

*

"You okay?" Bambi looked at me, her eyes searching mine.

"I think." I shrugged.

It had been thirty minutes now. Thirty minutes since Bambi, Ryan, Tanner, Jesse and Edward got back to the front of the door of the ward to see me, looking worried and asking where I'd gone.

Now we all sat in a waiting room after I explained to them that dad was in the ward with mom. They had all been surprised and Tanner stood, his eyes on me the whole time. I wasn't still completely over what happened an hour and some minutes ago while we were with Mom. I still felt somewhat unsure and even if I really did want to talk to him about it, I didn't want to appear forward and just stupid.

I sent a glance at the guys who sat in another seat, all of them trying to talk at the same time as Jesse was literally laughing his butt off, his hands over his face. Tanner sat, quiet, looking like he was trying to get what each of them were saying, a small smile on his face as his eyes now roamed around the waiting room. I could tell he was lost in thoughts and a large part of me wondered what might be on his mind. Just then, his eyes met mine and that was when I realised I had been staring for long. I turned to look away quickly, embarrassed that he had caught me staring at him.

"What's up?" Bambi asked and I pulled my eyes to look at her. "What's on your mind?"

"A lot," I answered. There was nothing I could hide from Bambi.

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Dad, Mom, Tanner..." I let out a breath.

"What's it with them? First off, what's up with your dad and mom?"

"I'm just scared, I guess. W-will mom accept him back? I mean, yeah, he did leave her, but, it seems like he's sorry for real. When we were talking, he said he still loves mom."

"That- that's a good thing, Kenzi. Trust me, if mom still feels something for him, they're likely to get back together. I just don't know how you'll feel about it."

"Well, definitely, if they do get back together, things will be better for us, you know." I looked at her.

"And that'll be amazing," She smiled slightly, taking my hand. "It'll be amazing, because, Kenzi, you've worked so hard to put things together, for yourself and for mom. You deserve to be happy."

Her words brought tears to my eyes even as I looked at her before flinging my arms around her. We stayed that way for a while before she pulled back, a smile on her face, "So, what's up? Tanner?"

I let out a breath, my face falling. "I'm scared too."

"What about?" She queried, an eyebrow raised.

"I- I'm scared that," I started to say, but I paused, letting out a laugh void of humor as I face-palmed. "Shit, Bambi, I'm so stupid."

"If you're stupid, then what is Lenore?" She asked, a silly grin on her face.

Despite myself, I laughed. "I can't believe you just said that."

"Why?"

"I mean, you used to be on her side."

"Please, don't even remind me. I still can't believe I was practically shipping both of them. Hell, see? I'm the stupid one. Just talk to me already, Kenzi."

"Right," I sighed. "H- he doesn't feel the same way I feel for him," I blurted.

"I wouldn't pretend and act like I didn't know you felt something for him, but you're crazy, Kenzi. Clearly, he's into you. He's looked at you, like, ten times just these past seconds!"