Chapter 9

The first day tutoring Tanner was just like I'd expected. He always got on my nerves. I kicked a stone as I walked back home and I thought about dinner. I didn't know what exactly to prepare, I only told Mom I'd do it because I didn't want her doing it. I doubled my steps as I walked. I wanted to get to her on time. I walked up to the front door as I pulled the door open.

"Mom! I'm back!" I announced as I walked in," Mom!"

I didn't get any response. I walked to the kitchen, hoping to see her and mildly scold her about making dinner if she did. I popped my head into the kitchen, but I didn't see her. My heart beat faster as I walked to her room.

"Mom?" I called as I entered her room.
And there she was. Holding her chest tightly on the bed.

"Mom!" I cried as I ran to her and sat beside her.

I ran to the kitchen and I grabbed a bottle of water and a glass. I ran back to the room and poured her a glass of water. I lifted her up a little and she had some water. She laid back down and immediately her head hit the pillow, her eyes closed.

I sat by her side as I cried. When did things get so bad? Oh, yeah. When dad left, but it wasn't this bad. I needed to get her into a hospital, but where do I get the money from? I didn't have enough money. Mom couldn't keep staying home. It wasn't safe, she needed to be under watch at the hospital, but I had to go to school and I wouldn't be with her everyday. If only we had money. If only I'd left Tanner's house earlier. If I'd been home earlier, I'd be fixing dinner and Mom would be in the living room, watching TV, waiting for the food to be ready. Without thinking of having my dinner, I got in the bed beside her as I wrapped my around her waist and cried to sleep.

*

"Kenzi what's wrong?" Bambi asked me during the ride to school.

"How do I look?" I asked back.

"Like you cried through the night."

I sighed.

"Did you?" Bambi asked as she threw a quick glance at me.

I nodded, "Yeah."

"What happened?"

"It-it was mom."

"What happened this time?"

"She was just kinda struggling to breathe."

"Oh my Kenzi, let's get her to a hospital."

"I know, Bambi, I don't have the money."

She sighed, "Can you wait till tomorrow? I'll get some money today and I'll give it to you tomorrow."

"No, no... No, Bambi. I-"

"But we agreed we were gonna look for some way to raise money for her."

"I wouldn't be able to pay-"

"How many times have I told you about you paying me back? You aren't going to pay me back."

I swallowed, nodding, "Thanks."

*

"Ryan," I groaned.

"Please Kenzi," he looked at me intently, "Just take it."

"No." I told Ryan what happened with Mom and now, he was trying to force some money into my hands.

"Come on, take it."

I wanted to give him a reason for not accepting the money. Actually, the reason was because his parents never gave him money. And I didn't want him giving me money because I'd love to pay him back, but at the end of the day, I wouldn't be able to pay him back.