Chapter 32

You have the opportunity to live with a male and female celebrity for one day, who would it be?

*

I stared down in horror at the grade boldly written on my test paper. 

I felt Tanner's eyes on me and then, saw his gaze drop to my paper. I couldn't help but feel a surge of anger towards him.

Ugh, this wasn't his fault.

"There we have it. I hope we can all see clearly for ourselves how we did in the test. For those who did well, it's a thumbs up to you guys, and for those who did poorly, I advice that you go through what you did, figure out what went wrong and work harder. There are other tests to come." She said, looking around and I could tell she was struggling to keep from looking at me. 

And if there were more tests to come and I was still tutoring Tanner, then I was certain that I'll keep failing my test, and so it was official. He was trouble.

The bell rang and everyone packed their books to leave the class.

"Mackenzie, I'll like to see you." Mrs Martinez said when everyone was at the door, struggling to leave the class. Ryan stood behind me, completely unaware that I'd failed my test. Ryan would never expect me to fail a test. Never. And to avoid his questions, I walked quickly to Mrs Martinez.

"Yes?" 

"What happened?" She asked and I was forced to look at her, and she stood, eyes wide with concern.

"Mack-"

"I don't know, Mrs Martinez.. I do not know." I said firmly.

"When I was marking the test papers, I thought I'd given your grade to Tanner-"

"Yes. I know he did better than I did, Mrs Martinez, I don't think rubbing that in my face would make me feel better."

"No, I'm not trying to rub it in your face. I was only wondering what went wrong."

"This whole tutoring thing." I gesticulated frantically, "Tutoring Tanner. I- I can't do it-"

"Mackenzie, look-"

"I told you the first time that I couldn't do it. I can't anymore. You should be happy, he passed his test. Mrs Martinez, I have had enough."

Mrs Martinez sighed, "Did anything happen between both of you?"

"Nothing has to go wrong between us, I'm tired and that's it.  I have a lot on my mind, just accept this and I'll be extremely grateful."

"Alright, fine," she nodded, "What happens to him now?"

"I honestly don't care, but, to help you, you could just get another tutor for him, you know." I shrugged.

"No one's as good as you are, Mackenzie-"

"Mrs Martinez, I got a D in my test. Surely, someone got an A."

"Nobody did. The highest grade was a B in the test."

"And Tanner got a B." I adjusted the strap of my bag, "If you ask me, Mrs Martinez, I think he's​ better at Trig already. Just give him time to study on his own, as for me, I'm so done tutoring him."

"Can you just rethink this?"

"Already did. A dozen times. I'm very sure. I'm done. I tried." I took a deep breath, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." She smiled sympathetically.

I nodded and walked out of the class and was surprised to see Tanner leaning against the wall by the classroom.