Chapter 63

My eyes widened in surprise at the words that just left​ Tanner's mouth.

He stood there, looking frustrated, his hands in his pocket as he closed his eyes and opened them, letting out a breath, "Look, I'm sorry I made you feel that way." He looked at me, "It's just that. . . that I'm new to this and I couldn't help but feel defensive."

I swallowed, my eyes going soft as I looked at him.

"For so long, like, literally all my life, I've never felt this way, and I didn't think I would, but then, you came and I just found myself questioning all that I believed in. I had rules, Mackenzie, and I broke them. Every one of them. Because of you. I wouldn't lie and say that I fell in love the first day I saw you, you know, that love at first sight shit, but I swear to God, Mackenzie, you frustrated me. And I know, it was very stupid of me to have been such an asshole to you in the beginning, but I was trying to, I don't know, protect myself? I'm not even sure," he let out a laugh, his smile not reaching his eyes.

"I- I didn't see it coming, I mean, at some point, I knew you were bound to make me think twice about the crazy rules I'd set for myself, so I thought that was the best thing to do, but seeing you with that. . . with that dude didn't even make things better. Everytime I saw you with him, I just felt so angry and jealous. That's what caused me to be so angry the other day at your house, I'm still sorry about it," he brought a hand to his forehead while I stayed speechless, my eyes still on him even as he licked his lip, saying,

"And then, after you told Jesse to tell me you didn't want to tutor me again, I couldn't even explain how I felt. You were the only girl I'd let in my house, but. . . but I liked it, and when you stopped, I found myself missing your smile, which I rarely saw while you were here since I was always a jerk. I began to expect and miss the way you did your things, even the way you packed your things into your bag and the way you made me feel. Renée also didn't make things easier for me. She was always blaming me for making you leave," he chuckled before his face formed a smile.

"Sometimes I'll be with the guys during lunch, and start smiling stupidly to myself all because I was staring at you. You... you just made me forget everything going on around me and that was what I sorta needed. I couldn't help it... and I don't know how else to say it, except that I've fallen​ for you, Mackenzie. Hard," he took a step closer to me and my breath hitched in my throat. He cupped my face with his hands as he said, "Those kisses mean everything to me."

I stared at him, a slow smile forming on my lips.

"So tell me," his hands left my face as he wrapped them around me, "What did you do to me?"

I looked at him, a smile playing on my lips, "Tanner, I..." My voice trailed off.

"Because I didn't see it coming," he said, a smile on his face that made my knees go weak.

By this time, I was smiling so hard my cheeks were actually hurting. I then buried my head in his shoulder as I felt my cheeks go hot, "I'm sorry. . . for acting up."

"So now you admit you were acting up?" He asked, chuckling.

"Shut up," my laughter came out muffled even as my head was still in his shoulder.

He laughed, stroking my hair, "You don't have to feel like that. It was my fault. I- I shouldn't​ have said that. I should have taken your hands and told her how my heart literally stops when I see you smile."

I threw my head back from his shoulder, smiling up at him.

"Stop," he held his heart, a silly grin on his face as he held his chest.

I giggled as I watched him, taking in every bit of his details which I found myself studying each day.

I looked up to his eyes and saw him staring at me, a smile on his face. We both stayed quiet, before Tanner spoke up, opening his arms, "Come here."