Chapter 48

I could barely get any rest before going to work later in the evening, and the truth was, my day with Renée made me think. I seriously had a good time with her, I mean, she was so adorable, but the thought of Tanner playing father and mother to her just didn't seem to sink in very well. Where exactly were their parents? How could Tanner handle all these? 

I pushed my hair from my face, sighing in frustration. My shift was to start in three hours, and I looked​ forward to leaving the house. I wanted to think. Being with Renée made me forget about everything wrong with me and just few minutes after she left, the thoughts of what was happening in school, electricity bills and dad not even bothering​ to call again even after what I'd told him about mom, didn't bother me. I needed to get out and so, I got dressed in a short black gown, ready to take a walk to my spot, but contemplating on whether to come back to get ready for work or just get everything I needed and leave from the spot. I decided to leave from the spot, and so I took the handbag I always took to work. It was a beautiful Ralph Lauren handbag dad had gotten for me while I was still in Spain. I threw my charger and homework in the bag.

I walked out of the room to the kitchen, stopping to grab a packet of cookies which I could munch on the way to the spot.

*

Walking to the spot was a journey I enjoyed. I was so familiar with everywhere. Memories of Ryan, Bambi and I walking to the spot, teasing each other till we'll get there, and even when we get there, we'd never stop talking. There was always something to say. Never a silent moment. Never a dull moment.

As I got closer to the spot, there was already a sense of calmness I could feel. I chewed on my cookie, mentally beating myself up for not bring water or just any drink along. My chewing got slower when I saw the body frame of a guy. I didn't need anybody to tell me it was Tanner, as I eyed his tall frame. This time, it wasn't messy or anything and he looked calm as he leaned against a tree, head bowed, his back to me.

Did he just also feel the same peace and calmness Bambi, Ryan and I felt every time we came here? Because I was really starting to feel used to seeing him most times when I came here. I looked around for his car, but I didn't see it, but then most importantly, I looked around him for Renée, but I didn't see her either.

"Hey." I fell in step beside him, and he slowly dragged his eyes to look at me. "What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I could ask you the same... I mean, look at the time." He said.

"Well, I came here to clear my head, and from here go to work."

"Are you always this fearless?" He asked me.

"Fearless? What do you mean?"

"At this time of the day, I wouldn't let my sister come here all by herself."

I shrugged. "You've seen me here at times later than this, Tanner. Speaking of sister, where's Renée?"

"She's home."

"What? Are you out if your mind? You left her?-"

"Asleep. She's asleep."

"And so what? Anything could happen to her!" I shrieked. With everything Renée said today, especially about Tanner leaving her home when she was asleep.

"I don't need you to tell me how to handle my sister." He snapped, and I took a step backward, "I'm sorry." I said.

We were both quiet for a while, and I decided to give him the time he needed alone. I stepped away, making my way to the spot.

"I'm sorry."

I raised an eyebrow and turned to look at Tanner, and he looked at me.
"I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to snap at you. I'm just-"