Chapter 11

"I never thought about this, but what hospital asks you to pay to stay in their hospital?" Ryan asked, throwing a quick glance at me as he drove.

I rolled my eyes, "First off, this hospital is our family hospital, and it's a private one, c'mon, Ryan, you know how they do their stuff."

"Forgive me, okay?" A small smile played on his lips, "Forgive me for forgetting your hospital's a private one."

I laughed, "You didn't forget, you just have some things on your mind," I tried to hint.

Easy, Mackenzie. He'll tell you..

"I thought Bambi was to meet us at your house. We're almost there," Ryan said.

"She'll be joining us at the hospital."

"Oh, right."

I sighed, "I really hope Mom's given a good ward."

"Are you paying for feeding too? Or treatment?"

"Yes. Treatment until I'm able to get money for the real treatment." I closed my eyes, then opened it, "And feeding, I could only afford breakfast and lunch."

He looked at me, "Can I pay for her dinner?"

"You don't have to, Ryan."

"Why?"

"Just never mind about it. I'll make her dinner, then take it over to her."

"Even on school nights? Come on, Kenzi, I'll just pay for it. It's no problem."

"Yes. I'll do it, even on school nights."

He looked at me for a was quiet for a while, then said, "Fine," then said again, "Wait, Bambi gave you some money today, why don't you use it?"

My eyes widened as I gasped, "You won't believe I left it in my locker!" I groaned.

"See? Let me pay for it."

"Okay, but remind me to pay you back tomorrow."

He was about to object, but then he said, "Alright."

"Thank you," I rolled my eyes.

Ryan soon pulled up to my house and we got down.

"I think you should put up the trunk so Mom's stuff go in there. I'll just go get her," I told Ryan and he nodded.

I walked to the door and yanked it open in impatience. I honestly felt that keeping her in this one more minute could do some damage.

"Mom?!" I called as I got to the living room and looked around. "Mom!"

"M-MZ?" I heard her faintly call from her room.

"Mom!" I shouted as I ran to her room.

No. No. No, please, no.

The door to her room was wide open and I could see a few bags packed by her wardrobe, but where was she?

"Mom?" My voice shook.

"MZ?" I heard her call and next thing I knew, I was on my knees beside her on the floor. She was breathing hard, and I could tell it was from the pain she was probably feeling in her breast.

 Tears welled up in my eyes and I got up and ran out.

"Ryan! Ryan!!" I cried

"Kenzi?" Ryan ran to me, "What is it? Where's she?"

"We've got to carry her." I wiped my tears, "She's on the floor in her room."

"What?" He squinted as he ran past me, leaving me shaking in tears. I couldn't move. I buried my head in my hands.