Chapter 38

Which celebrity do you think would pass for:
- Bambi
- Ryan

*

"That's Darren." I said in realization as I turned to look at Kora.

"The guy who dropped you off the other day?" She looked back at me.

"Yep. That one." I nodded.

"Where's the other guy? That's who my eyes are ready to see right now?" she said as she used a napkin to wipe a tray.

I chuckled. "Whatever, I'll go attend to him." I said, walking away.

"Yeah, you go." She smiled, looking around the diner to make sure no one was unattended to.

I walked over to Darren, notepad in one hand and a pen in the other.

"Hey." I smiled

"Hi." He smiled back. "How's work going?"

"Quite okay. Look, I really can't talk now." I chuckled. "Right now, I'm acting like I'm taking an order from you."

He let out a low chuckle. "Right. I really need to talk to you, though. You have any breaks or anything?"

"As a matter of fact, I do." I said, pretending to write in the notepad I held.

"Can we talk then?" Darren asked, looking around a little.

"Darren, my break's in an hour and thirty minutes from now."

During my break, Kora worked, and during her break, I worked. Most of the time, I spent my break time doing my homework, and Kora spent her break time talking to her boyfriend over the phone.

"I can wait," He nodded. "I'll wait."

"You don't have to, Darren."

"Mackenzie, I'll wait."

I swallowed and nodded. "Right. So, now, what's your order?"

 "Mozarella sticks? Can I get that?"

"Definitely." I put it down in my notepad. "Is that all? No soda or anything?"

"Uh. I'll have a Dr Pepper."

"Mozarella sticks and a Dr Pepper coming right up", I said, smiling as I left Darren chuckling to himself.

When I got to the stand, Kora wasn't there. I saw her making her way around tables, smiling as she finally stopped at a table, taking the order of an elderly woman who didn't stop smiling too.

I sent in Darren's order and waited till it was ready.

*

"Girl, that guy has been here for the past hour." Kora looked at me as she sent in the orders​ of three men this time.

I nodded. "Yep."

"What's up?"

"He wants to talk." I shrugged.

"Wow. Must be important."

"I have no idea what he wants to talk about."

"Well, he better not be doing some love declarations-"

" What? No!" I let out a laugh. "Why'd you say so?"

"Because," she said with drama, "there's only one person meant to be declaring his love for you." She wiggled her eyebrows and I knew instantly who was in her mind, so I raised a hand, chuckling as I said, "Don't even think about it, Kora. It's never happening."