Chapter 30

What's you're favourite TV series?

*

My eyes ran over the pages of the test paper and I started to write. The questions weren't difficult and I was happy I'd read into the night. It was just worth it.

I took a quick look around the class. Some people were smiling to themselves. Some were even asleep. Speaking of asleep, I looked at Ryan. His eyes were wide open and he was writing, Gabi smiling. Surely, she was helping him out.

I turned back to my paper, bringing my pencil to it, solving another problem.

Tanner

How the hell can she not want to tutor me again?

I couldn't blame her. She was the only one who had taken in my shit for such a long time, usually, people give up on me, surprisingly, even guys gave up on me, not to talk of the girls I'd treated like trash. I honestly don't regret treating them like that, to be honest.

Mackenzie was the only girl I'd ever let to come this close. No girl had ever been​ to my house. No girl had been my seatmate, all the ones that tried couldn't keep up with my attitude and they left the seat.  It wasn't because I wanted Mackenzie this close to me, I just couldn't help it. I didn't know what it was.

I threw a quick glance at her, her lips caught between her teeth and her eyebrows furrowed as she wrote. She looked ​extremely unhappy and hurt and I felt very guilty. Hell, I'd started feeling guilty after I walked away from her at her house. It had taken everything in me not to go back and apologize. I honestly didn't want to make her feel worse than she already felt, but once I started talking, I wouldn't stop. I guess I was proud after all. There was just something about the way seeing that guy in her house made me feel. What came over must have been-

"Ten minutes more, guys!" Mrs Martinez announced and I pushed my thoughts aside and went back to the shitted test I was going to fail anyway.

Mackenzie

Quite satisfied with what I'd written, I nodded lightly as my mind wandered off again.

I sighed inwardly as I read through what I'd written​.

"Time's up! I want to see your pencils up. All of you, your pencils up!"

Everyone put their pencils up, except Tanner who tapped his pencil against his desk.

"Pass your papers forward." She instructed, and we all did, sound of rustling paper irritating my ear.

"Thanks guys, expect to see your results first thing Monday, during the class." Mrs Martinez smiled as she walked out of the class.

*

My eyes roamed around the class when it was time for English, looking for Darren. I hadn't apologized for what happened when he was at my house the other day, and it only made sense that I should.

My eyes landed on him, seated in his seat as he looked down at his phone, just swiping. I walked to him and placed my hands on his table so he noticed my presence.

He looked up from his phone and smiled, "Hey."

"Hi." I smiled back, but the smile didn't last long when I remembered what I actually came to do. "Look, I just wanted to apologize for what happened the other day you were at my house."

It was the second time I was apologizing to Darren because of something that had happened with Tanner. I couldn't help but wonder if he thought there was something going on between Tanner and I.

"It's okay." He said with a smile, "But, uh. . . are you okay, though?"

"Yeah, I am."

Just then, Chanel came along and sat beside Darren. She smiled at me and greeted, "Hey!"