Chapter 45

It had been minutes. Minutes since I cried my eyes out. Minutes since Tanner held me so protectively as I went limp in his arms. Minutes since he spoke softly into ear, saying things would get better.

"I- I'm sorry about your shirt. I messed it up." I sniffed, looking away from the window as Tanner drove to my work place.

"It's okay." He chuckled lightly, looking down at his T-shirt in which a spot was soaked with water. "But, uh... do you want to talk about it now?"

I let out a breath. "I don't know..."

"Okay, but if you do, I'm here."

I nodded, looking down at the seat belt.

There was a silence between us. A comfortable silence. One that showed that we both had stuff on our minds, though. But I decided to break it.

"Do... do you think I'm lying about Lenore?" I asked out of the blues.

He shrugged, "Sometimes, she gets really demanding and sometimes she's just cool, you know. A part of me thinks she could do it because sometimes Edward doesn't just give her what she wants, if you understand."

"She's so much of an actress." I shook my head.

He let out a low chuckle. "I always thought so too, but she's my best friend's girlfriend, what can I do?" He paused. "Anyway, how's your mom really doing? Did she tell you if she was improving or anything like that?"

I shook my head, then let out a breath. "No... no, she didn't."

"Do you think the hospital's good enough for her? I mean, is it a good hospital?"

"Yep. Well, it's our hospital, what can I say? It's just that, she wants to come home, I'm sure you heard her say it."

"Yeah, I did, and I was wondering, what's up. Why does she want to come home?"

"She says the hospital isn't doing her any good."

"Right." He nodded slowly. "And, you don't want her home, right?"

"It's not like I don't want her home, I mean, living alone can get really boring and stuff, but if she comes home, I won't be able to take care of her the way they're ​gonna take care of her at the hospital, you know."

"I get you." he nodded as he made a turn and I marveled at the way he drove. The way he listened and made me know he understood what I was saying made me get comfortable, so I didn't stop there.

"I convinced her to stay for a week last week, because, uh, there wasn't much to eat at home, but luckily Darren got foodstuff for us and I was really relieved. Now, I'm just trying to make her understand she still can't come home. She doesn't see a reason why she shouldn't come."

Tanner chuckled. "What's the reason you told her this time?"

I cleared my throat, looking out of the window. "E- electricity."

"You don't have electricity?"

"It's more than likely going to expire by next week." I sighed. "I wish she would just understand."

Just then, I could see the lights from the diner and Tanner pulled up to a spot in the parking lot.

"By the way" I dragged my words as I looked at him, "Why did you tell my mom the tutoring was going great? You could have just simply told her I'm not tutoring anymore."

He looked at me for a while, then smirked, "Are you really done with me, Mackenzie?"

*

I wondered what was taking Bambi such a long time. Usually, she was here by now. I walked to the kitchen and got out a plate, ready to make just a few pancakes for Bambi and I, but then the doorbell rang.