Chapter 46

The walk to work was super fast. Mostly because I had a lot on my mind. After I'd broken the news of Mom's cancer, things changed instantly. Dad had gone extremely quiet and there was so much emotion stuck in my throat, I couldn't speak again. I knew dad was trying to say something, but I could tell that he was having a hard time getting something out, so I'd hung up, falling back to my bed and losing my appetite.

I pushed the door to the diner open and walked to the changing room.
Kora was already in her uniform by the time I got in, but she was on the phone. When she saw me, She smiled widely, waving to me as she spoke, and I smiled back waving too.

After three minutes, I was in my uniform and Kora hung up on the phone saying, "Yeah. Love you too." She looked at me, pushing her phone into her bag.  "Hey Mackenzie!" She smiled widely.

"Kora, hi." I smiled lightly, pulling my hair into a tight ponytail.

"You okay?"

"Yep." I nodded and we walked to our stand, looking around for people who had just come in, waiting to be attended to.

Truth was, work was just​ starting and I was already tired, instantly, I started to regret not getting coffee with Tanner. That would have worked. I was stressed out. Dad stressed me out, and I let out a sigh.

"You sure you're okay?" Kora asked again.

"I spoke to my dad and it didn't just end well." I told her.

"Aw Mackenzie." Kora raised a hand to my shoulder, "I really don't know what to say about your dad, but I think you should just tell him how you feel."

"Yeah. I did that today."

"Did he seem remorseful?"

I thought for a while. I mean, considering the change of his voice and how quiet he'd been, "Yeah, he did."

"Then, I don't think you should worry so much. Maybe you should just give him time to think about everything you told him. If he really cares, he'll call you back, trust me."

I nodded. "Thanks so much, Kora."

"It's no problem." She rubbed my shoulder lightly and I smiled.

Just then the door to the diner opened and two girls came in. At their backs was an elderly couple.

"And work starts." Kora said then looked at me, "I'll go attend to that couple, you attend to those girls."

"Sure." I said, looking at the girls who just found a place to sit, both grinning from ear to ear as they chatted. They both wore comfortable clothes and I admired the simple but adorable way they dressed.
I grabbed my notepad and pen as I made my way to the girls.

I stopped at their table, smiling and they both looked at me. They were pretty girls.
A black girl with natural weaves which brought out her perfectly shaped face, and an Asian girl who wore glasses, with beautiful, long black hair, her Asian features all out, I could swear she was Indian, I was jealous.

"Hey girls! Welcome to Joyce's Palace. What can I get for you?" I asked, smiling.

"Uh, can we have Chicken Balti, please?" The black girl asked politely, smiling.

"No." The Asian girl said, looking at her friend, "You're gonna try the Sri Lankan omelette I've been telling you about." She then looked back at me, "We'll have a Sri Lankan omelette."

"We'll have both actually."

"She's a foodie." The Asian girl said seriously, pointing to her friend and I laughed.