Chapter 19

Sunkissed.

I stretched lazily as I yawned. I pushed my covers off my body and got out of bed.  As my feet landed on the fluffy carpet on the floor, I saw my dressing mirror in two places as I fell on the floor with a loud thud.

"Bad omen," I mumbled to myself, forcing myself to sit up, rubbing my eyes. Maybe today was my ditch day. I huffed when I remembered Bambi was such a mother. I got up and walked sluggishly to the bathroom. I hit the shower and let the hot water hit my skin without mercy. I closed my eyes, sighing.

When I got home yesterday, the first thing I did was call the hospital to talk to Mom, but I was told she was asleep. I tried studying, but my mind kept wandering and next thing I knew I was looking down at my phone, expecting dad's call, but just as I'd told Darren, dad didn't call. Speaking of Darren, he did call me. We spoke for a long time, until I felt sleepy.

I stepped out of the shower and got into my clothes, and headed to the kitchen to have breakfast. Just then, the door opened and Bambi walked in, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey Bambi, we're not late, are we?" I asked her, looking at my watch.

"Not at all. I came here for breakfast." Bambi rolled her eyes, smiling as she grabbed a bowl and a spoon. "Breakfast time!" She sang, doing a little dance.

As we sat down to eat, Bambi rose her spoon in the air. I rose an eyebrow looking at the spoon.

"What's up?" I asked.

"You wouldn't believe Ryan!" She brought her spoon back to her plate.

"Why?"

"Remember he said he had stuff to do after school?"

" Yep." I said, mouth full

"He was with that girl in his car!" She threw her hands in the air now.

*

"So I called the hospital yesterday and they said Mom was asleep." I told Bambi as we walked to our lockers.

"Really? Then, we should go visit her. I mean, three of us, we should go see how she's doing after school."

"Right. Thanks," I nodded

"Hey girls!" Ryan smiled as he appeared beside us.

"Hey Ry," Bambi and I smiled back.

"What's up?" He asked.

"Uh, we were just talking about visiting Mom. Kenzi called the hospital yesterday, but she was asleep. So, I just said, three of us should go after school to see her."

"Shit." Ryan closed his eyes as Bambi and I threw ourselves a look, knowing what was probably coming next, "I'm sorry, but, can we move it to another day?"

"Why should we?" Bambi asked.

"Because I'll be busy after school. I mean-"

"We get it, Ry," Bambi said sharply, cutting him off.

"No, it's not. . . see, I really want to come, but-"

"Save it," Bambi rolled her eyes and walked away.

I watched her leave, contemplating whether to walk away too or keep standing.

I heard Ryan sigh, "How did you get home yesterday?"

"Darren took me," I answered.

"Who's Darren?" He asked, confused.

"He's new here," I said, concerned about what was going on deep down.