Chapter 49

"Hey, these pancakes are good." I told Ryan as I chewed on my second pancake. "I'm impressed."

"Excuse me? I make awesome pancakes." He rolled his eyes.

I chuckled lightly. "What made you come pick me up today?"

"Brooke isn't feeling really good so she can't come to school, and when I spoke to Bambi yesterday, she sounded so tired."

"What's up with Brooke?"

"I'm not sure what is wrong with her exactly. Her dad just called to tell me she woke up with a high temperature."

"Oh, right." I nodded, then looked at him. "How's it going with her dad?"

He dropped his cup of coffee after taking a sip. "He's really cool. I like to think of him as my dad, instead of that drunkard I call my dad." He shrugged. "I mean, Brooke's dad is more interested in my life than my dad actually is, you know."

"W- what about your mom?" I looked at him.

"She was home last night which was surprising."

"Was your dad home too?"

"Yeah, he was. But he was out of sight. It was so dead silent yesterday, I fought the urge to drive to Brooke's."

"You could have come here."

"You were at work." He reminded me. "Was gonna call to tell you I'll be coming when I remembered you were at work.. and Bambi, she just seemed so tired, you know."

"But, I guess it's a good thing, though I mean, your mom was home."

He shrugged. "I guess."

"Hey, we should all go to our spot later today. It's been long since we were there together." I said.

"Agreed." He nodded, looking down at his wrist watch. "We should leave for school now."

"Yep." I gulped my coffee quickly before going to my room to grab my bag.
When I came out, Ryan had done the dishes and he stood, leaning on the counter in the kitchen.

"Ready!" I told him. "But how-"

"Fine, Kenzi. You look fine." He said.

I chuckled.

*

 "It's been kinda long since I came here," Bambi said as she sat on a rock, crossing her legs.

"Tell me something I don't know." Ryan said.

"When was the last time you were here, Kenzi?" Bambi asked me.

"Saturday." I answered.

"You're always alone?"

"Yeah, but most times, I meet Tanner here too." I smiled.

"Shit, she's blushing." Ryan said, throwing his hands up in the air.

"No, I'm not!" I knew I was only deceiving myself when I felt my cheeks go hot.

"Speaking of Tanner, what's up with you two?" Bambi asked.

I shrugged. "Well, he's been really nice to me. It's just seems so hard to believe that I literally hated him in the beginning. We usually grab coffee before he takes me to work, and sometimes, he brings stuff to eat for me while I'm at work. Like-"

"That's a lie." Bambi squealed and I chuckled lightly.

"It's not. I watched his sister in Saturday too." I nodded. "He brought her over. He's been good to me."