Complicated

Later in the day, when the others have come to the hotel, I pull Light aside.

"They aren't telling me something. And you, you aren't telling me something as well." Light says sat in a seat anxiously. We are alone in the separate room in the hotel and I've asked him what happened when I'd left to find Yama. 

I'd been in this room with L when Yama had threatened L's life, but as it was just us, no one saw a thing and assumed something must be wrong with me because of my erratic behaviour. I couldn't tell Light the entire truth of why I'd ran out of the hotel that day as it would have given away the relationship I have with L but I brushed over the reasoning for the disagreement with Yama and yet Light still seemed content with my explanation. 

Light has informed me of how L had told everyone I was undercover and told them I'd run off to a lead in the Kira case. But Light knows fully well how I'd got myself here with the task force, he knows that's all not true so he's questioning why L would have lied. But he's also suspicious of the group meetings he's not invited to and the things his Dad won't tell him even when he begs to know. 

"Why did he lie Nari?" Light asks. He's being emotional. Sometimes he lets his emotions get in the way. But empathy and sadness aren't his hardest hurdles for him, it's anger and frustration. 

"You have to work with me Light, that's not what we should be focusing on. You don't know it yet but the reason Yama was angry with me is actually something that is working to both of our advantages. So right now, we have an issue that is worth addressing: they're not telling us something." I say and sit on his lap, holding his face in my hands. I stroke his cheek. 

He sighs and nods, agreeing to move on from his original question. If I was anyone else I know he would be pushing for more, he wouldn't let someone withhold important information that has something to do with L. But this is me and I have him wrapped around my finger. 

"After he told us you were undercover, I was kind of freaked out as my first thought was that I'd told you everything about being Kira but after my few moments of fear, I knew what he was saying couldn't be true and it was an irrational fear. However, then I was confused on why L would have said all that to the team. L then said I should leave and go home. He was so forward, I had no choice. He didn't even give me a good reason. I'm supposed to be on their side so I couldn't argue." He explains and I'm not only curious but a little scared. "I then later got a call to come back. Once again, no reason nor explanation. When I got back, everyone had changed demeanour, they looked at me differently and wouldn't talk. They said they'd answer my questions later, depending on 'something'. I also wasn't allowed to know what that 'something' was. Then you turned up and everyone seemed glad to see you but L looked... scared I suppose."  Light informs me.

I have a lot of theories about what went down but I'm afraid of most of them. L didn't turn on me, did he? 

I thank Light and tell him to act normal around them and not push for too much. I get off his lap and sit on the edge of my own chair. 

I should leave. 

My Death Note is in my backpack in this room, I shouldn't bring it here with me anymore, not since L learned I have it and he's acting strangely. I don't care if I look suspicious by leaving, it will be worse if it's found or taken. I tell Light what I'm doing and he looks to my backpack.

"What?" I ask. His gaze stays on the bag for a few seconds before looking at me again.

"Let me touch the book, doesn't it make sense for me to be able to see your Shinigami?" For the situation he's in, sure it would make sense, however, for me it will make things harder. As only L can see my shinigami, Yama is normally able to suggest things and talk freely to me but if I let more people see him, he will be given less and less chance to speak as he has to play along with my lies. 

I just stand up and kiss his forehead. "One thing at a time," I say and ruffle his hair. This is getting complicated and I may need to take action. And I have a pretty good idea where to start.

If my suspicion of L changing his mind on me again is correct then he will have something against me when I kill another member of the task force. If he's 100% with me, like he said he was, then he will stand by my decision. 

I leave the hotel along with my backpack, without saying goodbye to any of them. 

Once at my house I notice Yama is rather giddy. I look at him and raise an eyebrow. "Yes, Yama?" I say and he sits on my bed.

"You've got that look." He says rather pleased.

"And what look would that be?" I ask, leaning against my desk.

"The look that you're going to kill someone." He says without question. I glance to my Death Note on my desk.

"Yes I am, and you're going to pick which one of them it is that's going to die," I say in the moment. 

***

I come back to the hotel the next day. I walk in confidently, rather looking forward to what will take place.

I greet everyone and they seem happy to see me. They don't normally act this kind. Perhaps because they now have more respect for me due to believing I'm undercover and work amongst them or... they've been told to be nice to me. 

I look to L. He's approaching me and little does he know that he's the matchstick that will set this firework off. When his skin touches mine, someone's going to become my puppet. 

He crouches on the sofa next to me. "You didn't say goodbye yesterday." He notes. I know he does not care for greetings and farewells but he takes notice of irregular behaviour. He puts his hand on mine and I smile at him.

"Sorry, must have been lost in thought," I say but I'm not looking at him.

I'm looking at Mr Yagami. Suddenly, Sorichiro stands up with a fearful look on his face.

A/N: Sorry for such late updates and short chapter but I feel like my writing is getting worse. Are you guys still enjoying this? Is there stuff I should change or talk about in future chapters?