Janet's Ghost

There are many different versions to Janet's Ghost, but they all of them involve a female apparition who haunts Kuching. Here is one version. Janet is supposed to be a young Chinese nurse in Kuching's public hospital.

At that time, kidnappings were rampant in Kuching and the disappearances were believed to be linked to the construction of the Satok Bridge. The people there believed that if the construction was held up for any reason, it meant that the territorial spirits were displeased and human sacrifices must be made to appease them and only heads will be used.

This was believed to be the fate that befell young Janet, whom was reported to be disappeared in the 60's. Eventually, her headless body was found and her anguished parents buried her in a red dress and red shoes. The Chinese believe that if a woman died wearing red, she would return as a vengeful spirit.

Perhaps her parents intended for Janet to return and exact justice on her killers. Well, return she did and soon, terrified villagers living at the outskirts of Kuching city reported seeing a mysterious woman dressed in red, trying to attract the attention of the menfolk.

Janet would also hitch a ride with motorcyclists, but at the end of the ride she would disappear, leaving behind a stain left on the seat and there would be a smell of rotting flesh. There are also tales of Janet hitching a ferry ride but after payment, she disappears and the money will turn to leaves or hell notes.

Till today, no ferry operator will be willing to work after 10pm. Janet's Ghost is so feared that residents of Kuching to refuse to even mention her name for fear of getting a visit from her at night.