84 Wu Xingxie's Marriage (2)

"Your Majesty, as this involves the lives of all of us, I suggest to investigate everyone here."
The young general declared with a strong voice laced with authority.

General Tang's bold request made the other officials flustered. He was clearly hinting that someone amongst them could have been involved in the incident.

However, there were a few officials who couldn't make the birthday banquet as they called in sick, so they were also suspected.

For example, the Right Prime Minister, Chen Jilin was unable to attend as he suddenly fell ill. Unbeknownst to him, it was the effect of Wu Xingxie's spell on him. It would take around a week for the effects to wear off but he was so ill, he couldn't even get up.

As he didn't attend the banquet, he had no idea whatsoever about the situation happening in the Imperial Palace.

During the evening of Princess Shuchun's birthday, imperial troops were found rushing into the estate of various officials. As it was the order of the emperor, no one questioned anything and continued on.

Since General Tang played a major role in unveiling the horrendous scheme, the emperor put him in charge of the searches.

Dedicated to his job, General Tang made sure each manor was searched thoroughly. His real intention was to search the Wu estate to expose the man but he and his men hadn't even got to that particular place when the drug was discovered in a different official's estate.

***

"What is the meaning of this?!" The Minister of Works, Xiao Zhi exclaimed with wide eyes when General Tang ordered him to be arrested.

General Tang didn't explain himself as he ordered his other men to bring in the drug they had found in the gardens of Minister Xiao.

How come the drug was in his estate? Perhaps, Wu Dingxiang was behind this?

No, he wouldn't frame someone on his side. If someone was likely to be set up by him, it would surely have been those who sided with Late Prime Minister Gu.

General Tang had multiple questions but focused on reporting his findings.

"Your Majesty, the drug was indeed found in Minister Xiao's estate. The servants of that place denied that it was theirs so doesn't that point to the head?" General Tang was ruthless when it came to crushing his enemies or anyone that proved to be a threat to the empire.

"Minister Xiao, what do you have to say for yourself?" Emperor Long asked sternly, but his eyes closed as he didn't think one of his own ministers would dare betray him.

Minister Xiao quickly defended himself,
"Your Majesty! I am being framed. I don't know how those drugs got there but I swear by the Heavens, I have nothing to do with it! Someone must be framing me! Please investigate!"
His words were laced with anxiousness and worry as he swiftly bowed on the ground.

From his seat, Wu Dingxiang had no clue how it ended up in Xiao Zhi's estate but at least it wasn't him. Otherwise, he would have to explain himself and everything he worked for would have been ruined.

"Frame you?" Emperor Long scoffed at the man.

"If it weren't for the fact that General Tang reported in time about the drugs, no one would have learned of this. If the Wu Eldest Miss hadn't opened my eyes, no one would have suspected it to be someone from Buxiu. That way, no one would have suspected you!"

Minister Xiao trembled at those words, fear crawling through his skin. Even if he was telling the truth, no one was going fo believe him because of the evidence.