91 Wu Xingxie's Marriage (9)

The familiar sobbing of a girl filled Yuyan's ears as she slowly opened her eyes. Knowing the voice, she shot up from where she once lain. Quickly turning her head, Yuyan's eyes widened at the sight she came upon.

Her Eldest Miss in the arms of an unknown man, bawling her eyes out. The man remained wordless as he rubbed her back, soothing her.

An indescribable feeling in her heart caused her to frown. Multiple inquiries entered her mind as Yuyan wondered who this man was.

She wanted to say something to get their attention, but seeing as both didn't notice her yet, Yuyan kept her words.

She watched the girl who had always put on a strong front release her emotions. Not to mention, this wasn't when she was asleep.

"There, there, everything is going to be fine."
Yuyan heard the white haired man say to Wu Xingxie.

From where she sat, Yuyan clearly saw the quivering body of Wu Xingxie who looked like she was at lost for hope. Nothing was more painful than watching the person you love hurt, yet you couldn't anything about it.

"Why? Why would you do all that? I don't want to owe you anything." At last, Wu Xingxie managed to speak albeit with a shaky voice.

Hu Jiayi didn't reply right away as he let her speak her thoughts.

"That year, the only reason I agreed to marry you was because there was no significance in my life. The only person I had left was Yuyan."

Hearing her name mentioned, Yuyan listened carefully to every word Wu Xingxie spoke.

"Without her, I don't know what would've become of me. I had no intentions of falling in love with you. I only wanted it to be like a business contract.

So, Hu Jiayi, tell me. Why did you do that even though I was no longer living?"

She knew he liked her, but if that was the only reason then he was truly blinded by love.
For someone who he didn't even know, can you really call it real love?

"I did it because I really liked you since the day you saved me, but it was also for indemnification. I never had the chance to repay you so giving you a proper burial was the only thing I could do for failing to save you."

Hu Jiayi's words were sincere. He had no other intentions for finding her body other than to bury it. However, when he found her, he sensed the deep hatred in her heart required for the spell. Her animus towards the people who wronged her, he felt them all.

Of course, he kept this part out because it would only arouse unneeded and negative emotions.

"Thank you but I never wanted to be repaid. When I saved you, I was an ingenuous girl. Today, I am no longer the same as I was back then." The indifference of her words were clear, but Hu Jiayi wasn't convinced she meant them.

"I know that you have been hurt and want revenge, but think about it. The people you care for are alive. What will you gain from killing the people who wronged you? Aren't you scared the cycle of revenge will come back to you?" He had been wanting to ask her this since his return but was afraid of earning her dislike. Since she now knew about his situation, there was no need to be afraid.

"I'm not frightened. If their descendants want to curse me, then let them. I want them to know what it feels to lose their loved ones, their status and reputation!" Vindictively, Wu Xingxie clenched her fists. She knew the consequences of her actions. So whatever happened, she would bear them alone.

"Hu Jiayi, I'm telling you, if you care for me, stay out of my life." She warned the male coldly. It was not her intentions to be rude or anything. She was grateful for what he did, but this time, they had nothing to do with each other.

"Not in a million years." Hu Jiayi flat out refused to back away. He made his final decision to protect her. With the war drawing near, her life was in danger. How could he just sit back and let her get injured?

Although he didn't know the exact details, the war would be devastating to many, not just just the human realm. From what he knew, the same war happened four hundred years ago, causing millions of humans to die and even immortals to perish in the war.

"You-"

"Eldest Miss...." Wu Xingxie heard Yuyan's sweet voice and looked at the direction where she sat.

"What is it?" Her tone was a 180 degrees from when she spoke to Hu Jiayi earlier.

"I think this man is right." She concurred to what Hu Jiayi had stated. Although Yuyan wanted to help her Eldest Miss fulfill her revenge, in the end, all they would gain was the enjoyment of seeing someone else suffer. Was it really worth it?

"It's not everyone in the clan who hates you. Think about the young children from the other branches of the family. They have nothing to do with what the adults have done."

"I know that. I know they're innocent people. I have no intentions of getting them involved. The revenge is between me, Wu Dingxiang and Wu Jishi! As for his allies, I have no qualms sacrificing them since they're already corrupt. If the Wu clan falls, blame it on their head for being a treacherous man. Other than that, I have no concern about them since they never cared about us anyways." Wu Xingxie maintained her purpose. She had gone too far to stop halfway.

"That is all. Yuyan, escort Hu Jiayi out."
Wu Xingxie ordered emotionless as she stood up, glanced down at him for a few seconds before returning to her room.

Yuyan watched her figure disappear into the room before turning to the tall man.

Good thing Wei, Wu Xuan and Sizheng were out otherwise Yuyan didn't want to imagine what would have happened. Still, she felt a bit disappointed the way her Eldest Miss treated the man for he seemed to truly care about her.

A perfect word to describe her actions and words were cold blooded.

*****
Now you know why it's called Cold Blooded Wife. :)

I feel like Xingxie is more of an antiheroine, or no? When I first started this book, I didn't want her to be those overpowered protagonists or those naive/innocent yet extremely dense and annoying ones as well. I wanted her to be strong but there were limits to what she was capable of.