Chapter 13 - Midnight Wolf, and a Message?

We didn't have to walk too far before we started going off into the forest.  The request was saying that it was just in the area, so it shouldn't be too far from the city. However, it was still bringing us pretty deep into the forest before my ear twitched, and I heard some growling. I really wanna try my new Monster Tame skill, but I only want the best Dire-Wolf to make mine. 

I unsheathed Noroi, and looked in the direction that the growling was coming from. A strange looking, but VERY large wolf slowly creeped out of the shadow of the trees, and I was confused how it's able to hide itself considering its size. If I had to compare its size to something, I'd say it was close to Toyota Pickup Truck. Its fur was black as a night sky, eyes were blue like this world's moon, and it had a grey strip leading from its head, down its back, to the tip of its tail. This definitely wasn't a Dire-Wolf, so to figure out what kind of beast it was, I used my Gods Eye to look at its status.

___________________________________________________________

Name: (N/A)

Race: Midnight Hound

Level: 58

Danger Rank: S

___________________________________________________________

S-Rank huh? Well then, let's see if I can tame it with my current skills level. I step in front of Sana, signaling her that I'll take care of the beast. I'm not entirely sure how the skill works, so putting Noroi back in her sheathe, I stare at the beast and activate the Monster Tame skill. 

Taming in Progress
Target: Midnight Hound
Requirement: Best the beast in a trial-by-combat. Should the user best the Midnight Hound, and it recognizes you as its superior, it'll then resign its fate to the users decision. 
Process: Should the Midnight Hound deem the user as its superior, the user must then enter a blood pact with the beast.

Wait, how am I able to use the skill on it? Maybe the lower the skill, the higher requirement for a stronger monster? So for this monster, I'll need to win in a Trial-by-Combat huh? Should be easy enough, right? This is really interesting though, it makes things more interesting than just automatically taming it. If that's how it worked, then this skill would've become completely boring. 

With that, I took a fighting stance in front of the Midnight Wolf to show that I wish to be the one to fight it. It rushed towards me and pushed me down to the ground, but using the momentum, I kicked it off of me and into the nearby tree. The tree actually cracked from the impact, and I suppose it must be expected since it's a Rank-S monster.

The wolf and I both rose up from the ground, but before it could make a move I dove right at it. Tackling its side, I knocked it back to the ground, and pressed my left knee on its wind pipe. At the same time I used my right knee to pin down its front paws, and then, while leaning over, I used my hands to keep its hind legs pinned down.

"Submit!" (Sora)

It continued thrashing around a little, and growling at me until I used more strength to keeps its body pinned to the ground.

"Do you finally submit to me?" (Sora)

It answered me with a dejected whimper, at which point I slowly and cautiously released the hold I had on it. As I stood up, so did the wolf before is bowed its head to me. Now I need to give it a name and perform a blood pact like the skill instructed for the process. Using Noroi, I made a small cut on my palm, and then made a small cut on the bridge of the wolf's nose. Pressing my cut hand against the cut on its nose, I whispered to it, "My name is Sora. From now on I will be your new Master. I grant you the name of Ikari." There was a red glow where my hand was on its nose. After the glow disappeared I pulled my hand away and it was completely healed.