Chapter 17 - Dreams of the Past

(A/N: I actually cried while writing this T-T. I hope You enjoyyyy!!!!)

________________________

Sora Takahashi, I was an average looking boy. I had slightly above average grades. The only thing is I didn't really have any friends. It seemed troublesome since we would just grow distant after graduating. I didn't have a girlfriend, but I have been confessed to a few times. I just saw it as being the same as with friends, if I got too close to them then it would just hurt when we grew apart after graduation.

So I always kept to myself and didn't want to bother with getting close to people, but that didn't stop one girl from trying.

"Sora-kun~!!" As those words were spoken I felt someone tackle me from the side while I was sitting at my desk. This girls' name was Sakura, and she had confessed to me one day. As usual I had said no, saying that I wasn't interested in dating anyone while in high school.

She looked sad at first, but even after that day she never gave up on trying to get close to me. At first it was annoying, but after a while I got used to it. At one point it felt weird if she ended up not tackling me after every class period.

A lot of guys looked at me with envy whenever she came though. Why? Because people considered Sakura to be one of the top beauties in our school. Why did she decide to confess to an average guy like me then? I still have no idea why, and she still refuses to answer me whenever I ask.

Well at least she makes me lunch everyday. I'm just using her? Sure I guess, but she doesn't seem to mind it, and at least I'm not trying to force her into doing something she doesn't like.

She was kind, and caring. Although she has an overabundance of energy. She also always tries asking me if I'll go out with her pretty much every other week. Each time I turn her down, but instead of being sad like the first time, she just gives me a smile and says, "I won't give up!"

When I finally got off the floor, Sakura was still clinging to me, "Haaahh~ Sakura can you get off already? What do you want anyway?" I asked her. She still didn't let go, and did her bad habit of sniffing my shirt while she clung to me, "Sora-kun~! You always smell nice! Also why don't we walk home together?" Without a second thought I tried to deny her request because I was sure that she might try something to make people think we were dating.

Although I said no every time, she still follows me and we end up walking out of school together anyway. I figured it would be like always, and we would part ways after getting a certain distance, but when we parted ways she was in the middle of the crosswalk when a truck came swerving around the corner.

She didn't notice it, probably because she was in her own world thinking about how to get me to go out with her. She was about to die, and even if I called out to her she wouldn't have enough time to react and get out of the way.

So...instead of calling out I rushed forward. Shoving passed the people in my way. And when I finally got through the crowd, I used all the strength in my legs to push forward into the crosswalk. 'Please make it in time!' I thought when I was running through the crowd.

'MOOOOVVVVEEEE!!!!!!' I shouted to myself, trying to make my body move faster through the street.

I was almost afraid I wouldn't make it in time, but using all the strength I had left in my legs I dove forward the last few meters, just so I could have enough force to push her forward. When my hands reached her back, her body was being pushed ahead.

'I made it in time to save her!!' I thought to myself, but when I looked to the side after she was a safe distance away, I saw the grill of the truck. It was close enough now to where I knew I wouldn't be able to make it out of this alive.

My life started to play back in my head, and the biggest regret I had was that I never even gave Sakura a chance. I should have said yes to her, then maybe things would be playing out differently. Then the last thing I could see before the truck hit my body, was Sakura looking back at me with fear in her eyes.

Then my body was hurled forward into the air. I could feel the pain course through my body while I was in the air. Then I felt that pain increase ten-fold when my body crashed down to the ground.

Everything was turning hazy, but what helped me to keep holding on during these last few moments of my life, was whether or not Sakura was still ok. I tried reaching my hand up, ignoring the pain trying to let people know I was still alive. I could only get it a foot off the ground, but it was enough.

Sakura had run up and was gripping my hand. Half of me wanted to tell her off that she was gripping too hard...but I couldn't bare to be mean anymore when I was dying.

So I let her hold my hand however she wanted as I felt her tears fall down onto my face. All this time she kept shouting, "Sora!!!! Please don't die! Don't leave! I still haven't shown you how much I love you!!"

People around were looking with downcast gazes, serves them right. They were just going to stand there and watch as a pretty young girl was killed by a truck. Looking up at Sakura I wanted to wipe her tears away. I didn't want her to cry, it really didn't suit her.

I can't believe I won't be seeing her anymore, but as long as she is safe then all is well. With a smile on my face I tried to get my final words out, "Hey...don't cry...it doesn't...suit you...I'm sorry....for...never saying....yes." With those words I could feel my consciousness starting to fade, and the last thing I saw was her face still crying as she kept begging me to not die.

Soon I couldn't hear her voice, and could see nothing but darkness. That was when I was surrounded by a blinding white light and met the goddess of worlds, Aiko-sama.

I wish I could find a way to tell Sakura that I was sorry for everything, and I wish I had said yes. Although I guess if I said yes, then it might have hurt her even more if I died. So in a way I guess I caused less damage to her by saying no. Sorry Sakura, I wish I could have made you happier.

Then I woke up to someone knocking on the door to my inn room.