31. Watch Me

Sarah's POV.

Dane told me what happened in his place over the phone. I'm glad I told my father everything.

The cars stop in front of our house and Jordan and Tim storm inside, followed by my grim-looking father.

"You are going to stay away from him!" shouts Jordan at me.

"He's my mate," I murmur, praying that makes sense to him and he'll just accept it.

"He's not! Someone like him is not going to be your mate! You're going to break the bond!"

My heartbeat halts and I look at Jordan, petrified by what he'd just said.

The shock turns to anger. "How could you? How could you ask me something like that? What if I asked you to break your mate bond with Jasmine? Will you do that?!" 

"It's not the same thing!"

"Oh, it is! Dane is my mate! I'm not going to change that for your ego trip. I don't care if you accept us or not anymore."

"Is that so? Fine! Leave, then! Run to your mate. But, know this, you can't come back."

Hurt and raged, I ask him, "why can't I? This is my home, too!"

"This is MY pack! You leave, and I'll remove you from this pack," says my brother with the most forbidding eyes I've ever seen on him.

"Jordan!" calls my father, trying to bring back my brother's humanity.

"Don't, father. I don't care if she's my sister. If she disobeys me, her Alpha, she'll face the consequence," says Jordan in a voice of authority which no one, not even my father, can disregard or confront.

As I fight the tears threatening to come out, I tell him, "Alright, Alpha, I won't leave. I won't go to Dane. But even you don't have the right to make me break my bond with him."

I hurriedly turn around and climb up to my room, afraid that I'll end up hearing more painful things if I stay. I hug my pillow and cry my heart out. I was stupid to think somewhere deep within me that my brothers will assent my bond with Dane.

Whatever little hope I had, they're now leaving me in tears.

I wake up the next day with the sunlight gently wrapping me. My mom comes in and says, "hey, baby. You okay?"

I nod, not looking at her but at the window that's bright in contrast to my dismal mood.

"I'm so sorry, Sarah. I know you are hurt, but don't lose hope. Your father will convince your brothers soon, we just have to wait."

I nod again, not exactly paying attention to what she's saying. The window is entrancing. My mom leaves me, knowing I want to be left alone.

The brooding continues till afternoon. My message inbox is filled with texts from Dane. I reply him that I'm fine and remind him again to not come here. I know he needs more than just a vague reply to stop worrying about me, but this is all I can manage now.

I climb down and go to the kitchen.Seems like no one's home except me. I make myself a cup of coffee. As I'm about to drink it, I hear someone coming in. My hand tightens around the mug handle.

"Hey."I hear Nick's voice.

Surprised, I turn to look at him and reply, "hey." 

My eyes can't hold his, so they look away from him, embarrassed. I've a feeling he knows about me and Dane. He now knows I went on a date with him while being someone else's mate.