33. By My Side

Dane's POV

I gently move a strand of her hair away from her face. She always seems peaceful when she sleeps. 

Without touching her skin, I trace her face, the way I traced it on my phone on the day I met her. I feel myself smiling.

Before her, I never understood the kind of love my father has for my mother, even after she left him. I applied all types of logic, it still didn't make any sense.

Now I know love is not something you can think through. You can try your best, but it's there even before you begin to think about it.

The first time I saw her, I was curious. The second time, I was interested. The third– I think I was already in deep by then.

I was trying hard not to think about her, but more importantly to stop smiling every time I did. Once the thought of touching her came to me, it became near impossible to stay away from her.

I knew what would happen if I went after her, even she'd warned me about that. But not wanting her felt like not wanting to be happy.

She makes me feel like the boy I used to be and the man I want to be. She makes me feel whole.

But she's not whole herself. I feel guilty about the sacrifice she had to do. I can tell she was close with her brothers. They mean a lot to her. 

I gently kiss her forehead, careful not to wake her, and smile again. I'm probably too possessive, for feeling like this, but I'm happy... I'm happy she left them for me.  She chose me.

My smile widens and I kiss her lips, throwing away my heed to not disturb her sleep. She's awake  and turns slightly to face me.

I slowly move on top of her, not breaking our kiss. 

Sarah will always be by my side.