1.3 || Unconditional

Being a dog was simple, and despite being warned that JamJam had to be ready in case some malice would show their ugly noses to wreak havoc, he had been living pretty peacefully.

JamJam stared dumbfoundedly at the mansion in front of him, his jaw hanging open. In front of him was a renaissance styled mansion, that must have been built in the old days – not just newly riches that wanted to imitate the olden style. The off-white paint was undoubtedly new, but it did not mask the elegance of the three-story building.

"This is a palace! Not a freaking house!"

A manicured garden spread around it, including the fluffy patch of grass that JamJam was standing on. Trimmed pine trees and hedges made up the majority of the simple garden plants, exuding a somewhat cold and detached atmosphere. There were no other brightly colored plants or flowers.

It was the Scifa family's mansion. The expansive residence belonged to the main branch, housing the current head of the family, as well as his three children with their own families as well. Tara Scifa and Abe Scifa were two of the old Scifa's direct line grandchildren, and thus were living there as well.

Gil and JamJam had been invited by the pair of cousins to their house, in return for Gil's hospitality for hosting a few dinners of late.

Well, to be precise, Tara wanted JamJam to be brought along, while Abe merely played along with his cousin's wish. JamJam was only grateful that at least Abe had been friendlier towards Gil, especially after those dinners.

JamJam tilted his head upwards to see Gil's expression, only to see the teen's jaws slackened in shock – comedically similar to JamJam was doing just a moment ago.

He gently nudged the youth's leg with his snout. After Gil was awakened from his stupor, they walked ahead, nervously trying to not accidentally kick the white pebbles lining the grassy path... .

Save for a couple of gardeners who sneaked glances towards the peculiar pair of teen and dog, the front lawn was awfully empty.

JamJam sighed inwardly. Although Gil's house was so much smaller than the mansion, at least it had warmth. The gardeners, although attired professionally, gave an expression that they would prefer to be anywhere else in the world but here.

There was an electric door-bell attached to the frame of two-and-a-half meter high heavy teak double-doors. It looked vaguely out of place, especially when said doors had an antique looking brass door knock – a twin set of majestic carved lions with metal rings in their mouths. Gil decided to use the door bell and inhaled, but before he managed to press on it, the door creaked open.

Tara Scifa threw herself towards Gil to hug him, causing the youth to stumble in surprise.

JamJam noticed that the girl was looking prettier than usual – she was donning a light green knee-length dress, combined with a pair closed-toe kitten heeled shoes. Looking at the slightly blushing cheeks as she finally withdrew herself from Gil, JamJam knew that she was dressed to impress. Her hair was also lightly curled to emphasize her gold locks. She was every bit like a blue-eyed Princess from a fairy tale.

"How do I look?" Tara confidently twirled on her toes, before looking at Gil with anticipation.

Gil was dumbstruck for a few seconds, his eyes un-focusingly staring towards what was behind Tara Scifa. Then he quickly shifted his gaze and looked down, redness creeping up his own cheeks.

"Ah... you ... look magnificent."

JamJam rolled his eyes. How could he not know what, or who, Gil was actually referring about with his compliments.