1.11 || Unconditional

"Ahhhh... how many years did it cost him to use your power?" YuLan fretted.

"No idea, but obviously it has taken quite a toll," Lei answered. There was no way for him to measure James' actual remaining soul power, "Wait, he's awake."

James blinked slowly and his eyes slowly darted towards the two deities hovering above him. But his gaze looked unfocused.

"It's your house, or more precisely, Gil's house," YuLan sighed in relief, "Although I know a soul is eternal, it still worried me when you fainted. There's only so much my power can do to alleviate a mortal body's pain... ."

Noticing James' glazed eyes, Lei said, "Uh, YuLan... . I think they added something to the IV drip... ."

The Seer squinted her eyes and switched her gaze between the still drowsy James, the thin tube attached to his arm, then to the bag of saline solution.

"... . Intravenous sedation?" YuLan mumbled, "That kid ... ."

As if the devil himself had been summoned, the deities soon saw Gil Scifa entering the room. Clearly, they had underestimated this young man! Not only was he able to keep James, he even managed to get some anaesthetics to make sure James would not go anywhere.

Sighing, Lei and YuLan lit some candles inside their hearts for their currently groggy friend, before tactfully vanishing from the room to give both men privacy.

If James knew that he had been sold by the two deities, he would probably spew curses again. However, all he could do was stare at Gil, whose face had come close to his. In his half-awake state, he managed to smile a little.

Because he had promised that he would keep Gil safe.

And from the looks of it, Gil was safe and healthy.

With that final thought, James let slumber wash over him.

Gil Scifa sat on the bed and stared at the sleeping man. The soft smile still hung on the other man's lips, as if he was in a very peaceful sleep.

"You... . Do you know that my heart almost stopped?" Gil whispered, collecting his courage to lift his trembling fingers. Soon, those fingers touched James' cheek.

As if electrocuted by the skin contact, he withdrew his fingers immediately. He then covered his face with both of his hands, exhaling with fatigue,

"I'm so fucked. How could I have fallen in love with a man I have only seen less than a handful of times?"

He sighed again, then silently looked at James. As if he was in discomfort, James' brows creased a little, causing Gil to chuckle. He smoothened the frown on James' forehead with his thumb,

"Nothing to worry about, James. You have saved me a few times. Let me properly look after you this time, okay?"

Gil was reminded of a few times before, when James would always manage to slip from his grasp. Gil's gaze soon fell on James' arm, where a circular mark was apparent.

"The bullet wound... ."

It looked like a scar now, but what made Gil hold his breath was how similar it looked to the scar on his dog's front leg.

Today, after the incident, no matter how hard he looked, he could not find JamJam in the city hall, or the vicinity around.

Before the incident, JamJam should have been with Lana Scifa. Yet, James was the one who was in the room, a room where no other person apart from family members should be in.

Despite how absurd the notion was, how could Gil not entertain his suspicions further, especially when he saw Roan Scifa transform into a troll-like creature before his eyes. Surely at this point, he would be a fool to not believe in things that could not be explained by science.