2.20 || The Prodigal Young Master

Yang Wenbao squinted his eyes, making sure the unsettled dust in the distance was not just a mirage. Yet from the sound of howls from unknown monsters, gruff yells and shouts of men, and the stench of blood carried by the hot, dusty, wind of the desert, he already knew that the fort-like settlement he was seeing was real indeed.

He glanced at the older lieutenant sitting on the horse by his side. Behind them, there were several soldiers Yang Wenbao had picked himself, as well as a few of the lieutenant's men. All were horse riders, as the journey to the enemy compound was not one easily done on foot. The horses used for this expedition were specially bred horses able to withstand dry weather and scorching sun on little to no water.

The scenery ahead was bleak. The dry, grimy-looking fort was like a beacon screaming 'I am a trap, but come here anyway!' at Yang Wenbao.

Yang Liyuan might trust this lieutenant-slash-their-uncle too much, he did not question the older man when Uncle Yang revealed that the main stronghold of the barbarians was finally found. What a capable man indeed! How could the entirety of Great Wei's good soldiers stationed in Western Jia be incapable of tracking the stronghold of a bunch of brute men for years, and suddenly this Uncle Yang managed to find such an obvious dot in the middle of the desert.

From the looks of it, the barbarians were not even the most covert bunch either. Look at the metal cages full of Daemons, howling all kind of guttural inhuman screams. Look at the other cage full of hairy Dafuqs... . Most likely, the fort was indeed the source of all Dafuqs roaming loose, including the ones that had attacked their men and camps in the desert.

However, for years, it was as if a sheet of cloudy curtain was put in front of Yang Liyuan and the other able commanders. Lieutenant Yang had always been tasked to scout, and as such, Western Jia remained a thorn for Great Wei because Lieutenant Yang had been unable to find the barbarian's main stronghold.

However, looking at the conspicuous location, as well as the mere two days journey from their last camp, Yang Wenbao believed that any good tracker amongst Great Wei soldiers with half a brain should have been able to find such a place a long time ago. Yet, Uncle Yang was the one finding it. Was Uncle Yang too awesome, or were the soldiers too useless?

The timing was excellent as well, his contribution coincided with the trouble at the Eastern borders.

If this good uncle did not have any trick ups his sleeves and had not intentionally hidden this barbarian stronghold in the past, then Yang Wenbao would drink all the sand around him like they were bubble tea!

But thinking it and deciding to actually walk into this trap was also his decision. Yang Wenbao thought he really did not have anything to fear. It was just a bunch of barbarians who could be killed, and a bunch of Daemons, who could be either killed or purified. The latter part was important. If Uncle Yang really wanted to harm him, Yang Wenbao did not have any qualms showing off Tian Lei's real power.

And the most crucial thing was, Yang Wenbao was free to do so, because Yang Liyuan and Zhou Yequan had indeed left this matter for him to solve. The people to whom he did not wish to show his power the most were not with him at the moment.

As soon as Lieutenant delivered the letter from the east, Yang Liyuan, with Wu Li in tow, as well as Zhou Yequan finally decided to leave to rendezvous with Zhou Chanqing and Tang Zhiming. Time was of utmost importance; if they dallied any longer, perhaps even bones could not be found. Worse, they'd have to defend the capital city from a bunch of monsters, big and small, with such low morale.

Thus, Yang Liyuan graciously entrusted Yang Wenbao to Uncle Yang to subdue the Western Jia barbarians once and for all. And for once, Uncle Yang did not voice out an objection for having to babysit this capable Second Young Master. Perhaps, this dear uncle had finally realized that Yang Wenbao was truly capable in the battlefield and truly wanted to assist Yang Wenbao to eradicate the threat of Western Jia; perhaps, Uncle Yang had provided a pit for Yang Wenbao to fall into. Especially when Uncle Yang suggested for Yang Wenbao to stay behind in Western Jia to attack the barbarians.