3.8 || My Dream, Your Truth

None of them counted how many shooting stars had passed. Part of Ren wanted nothing more but to bolt into his own cabin and sleep. Perhaps, he would have the fortune to meet that person again; after all, he had been wishing for it ever since the first blinking brightness sank from the lofty sky to the darkness beyond the foggy horizon. However, another part of him wanted to stay and savor the movie god's companion.

It must have been the Grey Line scent.

"Did you get to eat?" Nathan decided to be the mature one to break the silence. Although Ren looked unsociable, he knew the youth tried hard to act comfortable around other people. Ren's team members were one thing, but this kind of TV show must be a major discomfort for the youth. How could someone with mysophobia, no matter how mild it was, be all chummy with a bunch of strangers?

A fleeting memory ran through Nathan's mind, but he shook it off.

"That person and this person... they are not the same. I can't keep thinking of A-Quan whenever I see someone remotely similar."

"I did," Ren tilted his head. Ever since they had formally known each other, Nathan had never engaged in idle talk. Whatever Nathan had approached him for, it was always for a definite purpose; introduction, fixing his bow, helping him out. The corner of Ren's lips quirked slightly; he was probably not the only one who noticed their supper's menu was quite unusual. "Those herbs and vegetables... the island is in abundance of it."

Nathan praised the youth's attentiveness. "It will likely be our next task."

Throughout the day, while he was scouring the island for flags, he also paid attention to the surrounding vegetation and plants. About half of them were edible. Nathan even tried a few berries to snack on; after all, one of his cheats was to be immune to poison. As soon as he saw the provision for their dinner, he had a hunch on what the TV show producers intended to throw at them.

"I noted the edible ones, merely from the ones we ate during dinner," Ren nodded in understanding, "But it can't be enough right? One night is alright to eat just vegetables, but if the task is for everyone to gather their own food, how can we last?"

Nathan nodded towards the bow on Ren's lap. "I reckon your bow will come in handy."

Having nothing else to speak about, the two withdrew inside their respective cabins. Nathan watched his assigned children deep in their dreams, some of them snoring like the Niagara falls. Mary and Cherry had decided to share Nathan's blanket and mattress with Tori, the three of them huddled together in blissful sleep.

Just when Nathan was tossing inside his mind whether he should take up Ichi's earlier offer to share blanket, he almost jumped out of his skin when the youth let out a sound akin to a wood grinder. Glancing at the soundly-asleep people inside the room, Nathan thought this was a superpower he needed right now, to be able to asleep amidst a thunderous environment.

Outside the cabin, blood-sucking insects were singing the songs of their people, daring Nathan to sleep outside. The insect spray would not last the whole night, and he doubted he would be able to sleep.

Therefore, Nathan King could only lament his fate and left the dream daemons to live another night.

And thus, Ren, who fell asleep carrying the wish from the falling star he saw earlier, was bound to be disappointed.

The next day, everyone had come out of their cabins and finished their assigned dry provision for breakfast. Rolan was flabbergasted when he saw Nathan, "You... didn't you sleep?"

Nathan King was good-looking and always presented himself as gentlemanly. At the moment however, there were dark rings under his eyes, and one could almost see the storm brewing above his head.