0.1 || Unable To Give Up

An elderly man sat in a rocking chair, his heels gently pushing against the floorboard to sway the seat back and fro.

Despite having a head full of white hair, one could still see the trace of his exquisite features behind the slightly sagging skin that was already full of wrinkles. His eyes were cloudy and somewhat glazed, depicting dwindling eyesight. Years ago, those irises were of the darkest brown color that could tug on people's hearts.

He was in his bedroom. On top of a nearby dresser, there were framed pictures. They were of his late wife, his two children, his family. Even his two mothers were there.

The urn carefully cradled in his lap contained ashes of someone he had loved the most. Yet, it was not his late wife. She was now sleeping six feet underground, buried at the family's private cemetery after her death two years ago. His two children were still alive and healthy. His two mothers had long passed away and were also buried.

He caressed the cold surface of the porcelain gently, as if he was reciting the movement that had become second-nature to him since a long time ago. His hands kept stroking the urn, back and forth, then in circular motions. Sometimes it looked like he was tickling the urn as well.

He chuckled to himself, as if he had managed to ignite some sort of response from the remains inside the urn.

But no matter how he hoped and wished, he would not get his reward.

He mumbled tiredly, "Where... is my goodnight kiss?"

There had not been goodnight kisses ever since that person was gone. There had not been any playful lick on his nose.

A drop of tear escaped the corner of his eyes. The man slowly closed them.

*** *** ***

He must be dreaming. In the white nothingness of his dream, he saw a beautiful, ethereal looking woman.

The woman was clothed peculiarly, in an ancient Chinese style robe. She must really like white, as her attire almost blended with the background.

"I don't have much time," the woman said hastily, as soon as he saw her. Yet, her gaze was soft and lustrous, as if she was greeting an old friend, "I am only able to utilize Yue's power to a small extent. Yue has always been the master of dreams. I, who received only a tiny sliver of his power, can only do this much."

"But, I can make sure your soul is reincarnated in the same place and at the same timeline where your most beloved is. It is one of the Seer's privileges to do that much."

Perhaps, he had really known her, in another place, in another time. For some reason, he understood what she was saying. There was not even a slight doubt that she might misunderstand who he had always thought as his 'most beloved.'

If that person had gone somewhere where he could chase, then he would definitely give a chase!

He nodded and pleaded, "Please."

The woman smiled.

*** *** ***

There was also a smile on the elderly man's lips. His eyes remained closed. His hands lied on the urn, motionless.

The rocking chair stopped swaying.

*** *** ***

Runexi's notes: onto the next Arc!