1.12 || Unconditional

"You... will you continue to protect me?" Gil Scifa poured some red wine onto James' empty glass.

James stared at the familiar dish. It was the grade 9 wagyu steak with truffle butter. It was at the same restaurant Gil used to bring JamJam along to.

"Wow... Gil must really like steak."

If Lei and YuLan were listening, they would be rolling their eyes once again at James' complete denseness.

"Of course I will. It's my promise." James flashed a smile as he raised his glass to meet Gil's, "Dedicating this lifetime to keep you safe is not a bad life at all anyway."

The two ate their meals while making brisk conversation. For some reason, James felt completely at ease, "Perhaps because I have been with him everyday... ."

Even when Gil had to go overseas for short business trips, he would not fail to call back home. Even Lana and Anne were jealous, because the first one Gil would ask to see through video call, was JamJam.

"The restaurant is surprisingly empty though," James commented.

There was only the two of them in the whole restaurant. It was a starred restaurant where it would normally take months to make a reservation for.

Gil shrugged, "Hm. It's my birthday after all. I reserved the whole place for today."

"Rich people are different after all! Damn you all rich people! Well, damn everyone apart from Gil." James screamed inside.

"Then, don't you think it should be Tara accompanying you now instead of me?" James chuckled.

Gil's hand, that was holding onto the wine glass, paused. His gaze suddenly turned cold, "Why are you speaking about another person when you are eating with me?"

James felt like he had touched a sore subject but could not figure out what he had said wrong.

"Aren't they promised to marry each other?"

Nevertheless, he decided to stay silent. Fortunately, Gil did not continue to be upset for long. The meal passed pretty peacefully after that.

"I... should go," James said. He had devoured two entrée dishes, one main, and two desserts, as well as one bottle of wine. Fortunately his stomach was a black hole and his alcohol tolerance was pretty good, so he did not have any discomfort even after eating like a bear. However he had noticed that Gil Scifa had hardly touched his meal.

In fact, the younger man seemed content to just watch James eat while quietly sipping his wine. It made James to feel awkward and somewhat embarrassed.

At his remark, Gil's expression turned downcast, but soon he smiled,

"Sure. Let's meet again sometime?"

James merely hummed in response. After all, he did not know when he would transform again. It would be good if he did not ever have to, because that meant Gil Scifa would not ever be in danger.

As Gil's chauffeur driven car approached closer, Gil turned to ask James,

"Are you sure you don't want a lift?"

James smiled, "Yeah, don't worry about it. I'll just walk to the closest station."

"Hmmm." Gil took one step forward. Before James could fathom the reason why, Gil suddenly took a hold of his hand. Gil stared at him,

"Can you give me a birthday gift?"

James blinked, "What? You are a rich Young Master. What can I give you that you are lacking?"