Chapter Twenty Eight: Johnny

Two hours later
They let me finally go see Dally I quote honestly have no clue what took so long. It's now midnight and the Curtis brothers left to take Ponyboy home. I walked down the small dim room and head into the room with the number 301 written small across the door. I walked in slowly and seen Dally laying in a blue hospital gown wide awake. "Hey baby how are you?" I nervously asked as I walked over to him.
       "I could be better but I have to wear this stupid gown." He rolled his eyes. I sat in a chair that I pulled closer to his bed so o was right beside him. He then smirked at me.
      "What's your evil mind thinking Dal?" I asked laughing.
       "I could always ditch the gown and you could ya know come lay with me." He suggested.
       "Of course you getting rid of your clothes is a part of this." I laugh.
       "Well what do you say?" He said.
       "Fine." I say getting up as he takes off his small gown that barely even got him. He was left on only his underpants at least he's wearing something I smiled to myself. I lay down in the bed with him.
        "Night baby girl I love you." He kissed my forehead.
        "Night love you." I say laying my head on his bare chest. His chest was always so warm and brought comfort and protection my way. I could always hear his heart beat pounding against his chest as he tried to fall asleep. Suddenly I heard his breathing slow and his heart rate level out. He was asleep.
       I started to whisper to him, "Dally I know your asleep but I really love you and I know there's about no chance of you passing or leaving but there's always a possibility so please stay strong. I love you so much and I'm glad I got to see you but you know who else loves you our baby. And to top that Johnny. I overheard from your nurse who doubles as his that it isn't looking too good. Dally I know you really care about him but please don't be stupid like you normally would if he does die." I say letting a hot tear slide down my face.
      I've cried way too much today and the worst didn't happen. I decided I would try and shut my eyes and see what happens.

      I woke up to yelling, "what happened to your gown and who is this broad?"
      "I threw it away and this just so happens to be my girlfriend not a broad now get out your making my stomach hurt." Dally complained. I opened my eyes to see a nurse stomp out of the room.
      "Good morning Dally." I said sitting up a bit and kissing his cheek.
       "Good morning baby." Dally said giving me a real kiss.
        "Do you mind if I go see Johnny." I say still laying down.
       "Please do." He begged.
       "Alright." I got up and walked out of the door blowing him a kiss. I walked down a hall and seen Ponyboy and two walking out of a room crying walking in my direction. "What's wring Guys." I asked examining their faces.
        "It's Johnny. Just go see him."Pony said. I walked into the room to see Johnny laying on this big metal thing. He looked all red and burnt and almost like he was falling apart.
      "Hey Johnnycakes." I smiled sweetly looking down at him.
      "Hi Cali." He said in a very raspy sick voice.
      I could barely even get that out of him before he passed out. I yelled for a nurse staring at johnnys body. This one unfamiliar girl came running in. "He'll be okay but it's best not see him right now." The girl told me. She then explained he had a back injury and if he were to make it he could never walk again.

      I slowly walk out of the room looking down at the ground. The other nurse was right. Johnnys probably not going to make it. Dallys going to lose it. He really is. He always talks about just breaking at some point but I never thought it'd be this early. I thought maybe he would see our first kid and stick around long enough to see another one. He would've stayed around too. I just really hope Johnny doesn't die. I would miss him so much. He's so pure.