S.1 E.13 ~ Doctor of the Dead (Ch. 93)

* Somewhere West of the Rockies *
* Three Days after the Drug Event *

I sat beside a sick Cassandra, away from the parked van. Our only transportation had given out about thirty minutes ago. We had been running on fumes for awhile now, but Warren had figured she could fix something to keep us going a little while longer.

At least until we can actually find some civilization. While she switched to her mechanic side, 10K and Doc had walked off to try and find some actual fuel for the road. Thankfully, they found a bit to keep us going, but it won't last us long.

I stayed behind for Cassandra and Warren. Someone has to watch Warren's back as she worked, and someone needs to stay with Cassandra at all times. Murphy was lacking in helping either one.

He hasn't gotten out of the van since it got parked. Cassandra still isn't doing too hot. The fever came back last night and it's even worse. I craned my neck back some to peep around the corner of the van, my sight focusing on Warren and Doc.

They were behind the van while 10K, Cassandra, and I were around the front of it. Warren had the radio and was more than likely speaking to Citizen Z. Doc had found some batteries on their small trip, so that's one more thing to be thankful for.

Doc was walking around her, sometimes getting off of the dirt path and walking on the green grass, keeping a keen view on the woods surrounding us. It seems that woods are always around us.

Murphy had yet to come out of the white van, but he shouldn't be burning up since it isn't as hot as it usually is. Winter was strolling in very, very slowly this year.

"(Y/N)."

I snapped out of my thoughts once Cassandra's huff came to my hearing. I was sitting on the left of her while 10K stood in front of us with his gun in hand, watching out behind us and in front of us.

The brunette next to me had her head against my shoulder, resting as comfortably as I could get her. It's hard to move her around; making it hard to make her situated. She needs more medication and she needs a damn good hospital.

We have neither of those at our disposal. She's taken all of the antibiotics Doc and I could scavenge. Nothing seems to be knocking the infection out.

"Yes?" I answered, looking down to notice the increased breathing she was doing.

Why is she breathing so hard?

"I'm about to.." She swallowed her saliva before continuing the last part of her sentence, "puke."

Nope, nope. That was enough to make my face visibly drop at her words and carefully push her head off of my left shoulder. By removing myself from her right side gave her a free spot to puke in.

I got behind her, squatted down so I could curl my scratched up fingers around her thick brown hair into a makeshift ponytail. No girl likes throw up in their hair; no matter how oily it may be. If only I could find another hair-tie.

I got her bangs out of her face right before whatever she had left in her stomach exited through her mouth. I turned my head away from her straining form, almost gagging myself. I can't stand the sight of throw up or hearing someone vomit.

This is the second time she has thrown up today. The infection is only getting worse. Every hour we fail to give her the proper medication and medical attention she needs. 10K got on the other side of me.

He began to pat her back softly, giving her a bit more comfort than what I could offer her.

"That's it. Let it out." I whispered, knowing she'd hear me over her gagging fits.