Chapter 54

Khloe's POV:

I stood in front of the mirror, absentmindedly brushing through my hair before I headed out to breakfast.

Nico had already left this morning to take care of some things and told me that I'd see him after lunch.

He's been... weird lately.

Ever since our conversation a couple days ago, he's been different.

He has this constant tension in his shoulders and somewhat alert look in his eyes whenever I see him.

And his ability to focus has gone down drastically.

I've been able to keep myself from saying anything about it.

He told me that he'd bring it up when he was ready, but seeing him like this really bugged me.

I was worried about him.

He was usually so stoic and pays no mind to the challenges being thrown at him.

Even with the constant dates, events, and activities that the Lord has him do, he still returns from them unaffected.

So what on earth could be going on now?

I let out a soft sigh, setting my brush down.

I wasn't going to force him to tell me what was going on, but I felt like I had to do something.

This feeling in my head was telling me that the least I could do was try to figure it out myself through different means.

Yet there was only one other person that may know what was going on better than I would.

My head turned as I heard a specific knock on the door, taking that as my cue to head out.

I sped to the door and opened it, being greeted with Marcus.

He smiled a greeting before speaking.

"Doe's already in the dining room, and since I saw Nico this morning I figured you'd be spending the morning with us," he explained.

I nodded, stepping out of the room beside him.

Unlike Nico, Marcus seemed a lot more relaxed lately.

"Yeah I will be, but I have to stop at the library on the way there," I said as we began walking.

The library was on the way, and that was the only place I could guess that the person I needed to talk to could be.

"For what?" Marcus questioned.

"I just need to check something," I began, "It shouldn't take long. You can go ahead and get some food with Doe since we both know how she gets when she's hungry," I insinuated with a grin.

Marcus let out a snicker.

"Yeah ok. I'll at least walk you there before I head over. Do you want me to order you anything?"

I thought for a moment, trying to decide what I was craving for today.

I ended up just shrugging, "Tell Lily to surprise me."

He nodded understandingly and we continued walking towards the kitchen before parting at the library.

I waited till he was out of sight before even facing the doors.

I had to hype myself up a bit, planning out in my head how I was going to have this conversation.

Part of me felt like I needed to word my questions carefully while the other was completely fine with just pouring out all my worries and begging for answers.