seventeen

halle

I didn't watch any of Kirby's games. I knew that if I did, I'd be put through having to listen to Tyler-this and Tyler-that. I didn't want that right now.

It didn't matter if I watched them or not anyway. They won every game. They started the season with an immediate win streak, setting the pace for the upcoming season. The team was already in first place overall for points, followed by their current biggest rival, Tampa Bay Lightning. I had a feeling the points would be relaxed until the last month of games, just like it had been last year.

With my job and school, I was sufficiently busy. I didn't text or call Kirby a lot. Sometimes we FaceTimed at night, but if he was in his apartment it was always iffy. It was like we walked around Tyler on eggshells. I felt guilty, and I think Kirby did too. I knew the two had talked and sort of straightened things out. But that fact didn't stop my perverse feelings.

The team had a small two day break at home now. Usually I called Kirby when they had breaks, but I didn't feel like it today. I decided to go for a run, which always took my mind off things. I was already in the kitchen, already in my clothes and headphones. Emily looked up at me from her bowl of cereal.

"Hey...don't want dinner?" I made a face.

"Cereal isn't much of a meal." Emily shrugged.

"Oh well. You should call Kirby before you run. Just to check in. Ya know?" I looked at her flatly.

"Maybe."

"You really should...it's not good to just leave him hanging all the time." I shrugged in response.

"Later." I ignored the concerned look that crossed Emily's face. Phone in hand, I started for the door. Before I could turn the knob, my ringtone went off annoyingly. I looked at the screen, then back at Emily. Her eyes were narrowed and she held her own phone in the air.

"What?" I didn't hide my exasperation as I answered the call.

"What's up?"

"Nothing."

"Then why did Emily tell me to call you?"

"Because she's annoying. I was going to go for a run."

"You can't run away from everything Halle." Kirby was the one who sounded annoyed now. I was surprised at his tone.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes you do. All three of us have been talking about this. A lot. You need to start taking care of yourself again."

"What the hell are you trying to do, stage an intervention? I'm fine, thanks."

"Halle, have you seen yourself? You're tearing yourself apart."

"So?"

"So it's not healthy! Especially over someone so shitty as Tyler." I rubbed my face, cursing Emily and her meddling ways.

"I'm fine. I'll get over Tyler eventually, ok? This is just my way of coping."

"I can't stand by and watch you wither away without being able to do anything."