forty-five

tyler

I'd blinked and missed playoffs. One moment I was throwing my heart and soul into the very first round against the Avalanche. The next, it was game seven against the Flyers. This was all or nothing.

And we swept the team in a massive effort. For the second time in a year, I lifted the silver cup high over my head. This time, I handed it off to Pat. I tried not to let my own emotions show at the glint of tears in his eyes.

It was his last run with us. He was a stunning five time Cup winner. It was a thrilling way to end his career.

We ended the season with the big win. We ended the season knowing we'd pushed and pushed and we'd won.

Now I got to end my summer with my girlfriend. Almost as soon as I'd returned home, I shipped right back off to the awards ceremony. Unlike the summer before, Halle didn't join me. She was showing too much already. I had Elvis and Alex at my side, so I wasn't too lonely. Just like the previous years, I made a guilty sweep of the titles I'd been nominated for.

After awards, I came back for the ring ceremony. I added the ring, and Halle's matching necklace, to the growing trophy case in our wine room. We'd need an upgrade soon if my career continued to improve.

Things finally settled in late July. We had some free time before the baby shower and Tayler's wedding. It was in this time that I intended to propose to Halle. I knew her ring size from a gift for her previous birthday, and I'd used that knowledge to purchase a ring a few months ago. Now, my only hope was that it would still fit.

Between Dylan, Elvis, and Alex, I'd managed to plan a perfect night. One that was private and secret and meant for only the two of us.

In the warmth of a Toronto night when we were visiting her family, I nervously approached Halle's father. I might've been raised in an unorthodox manner, but I knew for sure that I wanted to ask his blessing. It would sit better with me. And since I was asking her the next day, this was the best opportunity.

Somehow, I managed to convince Hannah to drag Halle away from the house for a few minutes. Halle's grumpiness at seven months pregnant wasn't the easiest to convince to leave. Hannah's pouting and begging for sister ice cream time took some effort. I promised Hannah I'd slip her some candy as a reward. Maybe money instead. She wasn't a little kid anymore. Candy wasn't the strongest bribe for a thirteen year old.

With clammy hands, I descended into the basement where I knew the patriarch of the Finch household resided. It felt like I was descending into a dungeon of doom with all the Leafs paraphernalia decorating the walls. Despite my NHL affiliation, and my ready willingness to donate Hawks decorations for the basement, he was still insisted on being Leafs fan. Even more so when he met Mitch Marner by chance on the streets and the two had chirped me for a few minutes. I'd heard all about the encounter from Mitch at the awards ceremony. Apparently Jim Finch wouldn't hold back on berating opposing teams...even if the player in question was his future son in law.

Jim looked up from his armchair as I stepped off the final step. He motioned at the baseball game on the large TV.

"Hello Tyler. Want to watch the game with me? Orioles versus Yankees. I'm a Yankees man myself."

"Sure." I took a seat in the opposite armchair. "I'm all Red Sox. I grew up in Boston rooting for them. Hard to change my allegiances. Bunch of guys on the team fight over the White Sox or Cubs but I'm faithful." He smiled slightly. I had a feeling he could smell my nervousness. Why was I so afraid? I was about to have a child with his daughter and I was scared of asking him about marriage? I'd done things way out of order.