thirty-six

tyler

Preparing for the final game against St. Louis was harder than the previous rounds. We were all exhausted. Things were about to get harder. We were on the verge of sweeping the series. If we won this fourth game, it was time. We were on to the Stanley Cup semifinals. I couldn't think about that right now. I needed to focus on the game.

No one could help me relax. Not even Pat and our normal suit up routine. I was on my own in a fit of nerves. I knew that if a certain blonde were to enter the dressing room and trace tiny little circles on my back, then I'd calm down. That was the only circumstance that would help me to simmer down and get game-ready. But that wouldn't happen. Instead, I was fired up and fueled with adrenaline. Nothing worked for energy quite like the nervous emotions. I felt like I could tear through a whole team on my own. If everyone felt like that, we were set.

To my relief, everyone was just as fired up. The passion to win burned in everyone. The result was explosive. Within the first period, we shot the Blues down three to zero. The next two periods added two more goals. By the end of the game, we'd earned a shutout for Elvis and swept the regular season and the post season series. The team had played like clockwork. We hardly turned the puck over. Our line changes were smooth. We completely dominated the game. My relief was short lived. As soon as the finals rolled around, my stress returned. Tampa was next. We were on to the finals. It was nail-biting pressure leading up to the start of the round.

Our first two games were in Chicago, thankfully. I was terrified for the beginning of something I'd never experienced. At least I had Pat, Duncan, and Andrew at my side. The three older men had experienced this over and over again. They didn't mind that I wasn't as experienced as a captain. As long as I led them with confidence and authority, they would listen to me without question. I didn't ask anything else of them.

The night before the first game against Tampa, I felt like I was dying of nerves. I wasn't able to sleep. Without me having to ask, Halle stayed up with me. For hours, she traced tiny patterns into my bare back in the perfect way that always set my mind straight. Occasionally, her fingers were replaced by her lips. Under the cover of darkness, she trailed feathery touches along my shoulder blades. The motion helped me relax, even without sleep.

As soon as light began to filter into the windows next to the bed, I got up. Halle complained as she slid off my chest. Before I had the chance to leave the room, she sat up.

"Don't leave." My heart jumped. Her voice was sleepy, but the emotion behind her words was obvious.

"I keep tossing and turning. You're not getting any sleep."

"I don't care. I don't need to sleep. Please stay." I sighed. I couldn't say no to her, especially when she looked so innocent in the early hours of the morning. I returned to the waiting overturned covers.

Halle smiled sleepily as I settled next to her. I let one arm fall flat so she could curl close to my chest.

"You're going to do amazing tonight. I can feel it."

"Don't jinx me Halls."

"I'm not. I just know you."

"Thank you for believing in me." I placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Always."