twenty-one

halle

Were things always this easy? How could I find ways in my heart to just forgive Tyler over and over again? Did it make me weak? I didn't feel weak right now. I felt like a girl on a storybook date with a man she was crazy about. Was it right to be obsessed with him this much?

He made it hard not to be. I fell for everything I'd initially noticed about him. I'd gone on a date with him, now I got to watch him play again. I was planning to leave the following morning, but I couldn't do that if I was going to watch the game. I'd have to figure out how I was going to travel, but that was a problem for tomorrow. Right now I was focusing on how Tyler was holding his hand out in my direction. It wasn't for the first time tonight. With my jacket secured around my body to protect against the cold, I was ready to go.

Shyly, I took Tyler's hand. I wouldn't ever get over the feeling. His hand was always so rough and calloused. My fingers found a new bump on the side of his thumb. I pulled his hand up to eye level to study the patch. It was a scar, slightly pinkish white. That told me it was newer.

"Where'd this come from?"

"Oh, that. I...I nicked it on some glass at a party." I straightened.

"Adam said you didn't do parties."

"I don't. Because of that one. I went to make sure they didn't get stupid but that happened to my hand and Coach was pissed. Made me play right through the stitches without a second look. Wasn't fun." I ran my fingers over the scar again.

"No more parties."

"That's not one sided." Tyler pulled my in front of him so that I was looking into his eyes. "You can't drink and be stupid. Promise me you won't." I wanted to roll my eyes, but the desperation in his face made me rethink the action.

"Ok. I won't. I promise." He stared at me until I uncomfortably pulled away. "Did you have something else in mind or were you just gonna stare at me the rest of the night?"

"I'm not boring enough to just do dinner, am I?" I smiled slightly.

"Never."

"Exactly." Tyler tapped my nose. "Scoot. Back to the car we go."

I hoped his plans didn't involve walking. My feet were starting to complain in these heels. They calmed down once I was off them and settled into the sleek Mercedes. I still couldn't grasp the magnitude of Tyler's contract. It was insane. I wasn't going to complain. I just had no idea the number was that large.

Tyler let the car idle for a moment before pulling back onto the main road. He hadn't plugged anything into the car's built in GPS. I wondered where we were going.

I was surprised when Tyler pulled into his apartment parking lot again. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I thought—"

"Shh. You haven't seen anything yet."

He came around to open the door for me. I let him take the lead as we walked back into the apartment. We traveled up the elevator and back to his apartment in silence. The second we were inside, I pulled the heels off.

"Don't get too comfy. I'm not done yet. Come on, follow me." I did, trying to figure out what he was doing. Tyler stopped by the floor-length windows, which I now realized were a set of doors. One panel slid wide open. Tyler spread an arm so I could walk through. I hadn't noticed the deck furniture before. Now the decorations were in full view. Tyler didn't let me look for long. He motioned for me to follow him up a set of stairs. The flat cement was cold under my bare feet. I shivered slightly at the sensation. Tyler looked at me thoughtfully.