eighteen

tyler

No single hockey game had ever been as nerve wracking as the thought of facing Halle after everything that happened. I was almost relieved I wouldn't really see her until after the game. For the time being, I was in my zone. All thoughts of the blonde woman I loved were discarded. The better I played, the faster this game would go. Unless we got completely shut out.

Like always, I arrived at the rink early. Elvis and Pat accompanied me, having come from hanging out at Elvis's apartment. The three of us were easy friends, despite none of us being the same age. It was almost a relief to have guys older than me who were more relaxed. Elvis was a welcoming change from Corey, and a completely different kind of goalie than Robin. He had a good eye from plays, but it wasn't just that. Elvis was more carefree. He didn't have the memory of three Stanley Cups, or the weight of previous mistakes in his career. He was the friend I hadn't known I'd needed.

And Pat was Pat. He was my permanent linemate. Especially with Jon absent, Pat felt the heavy weight of being one of the older top forwards. I didn't let him forget his age often. Right now was one of those times.

"Remember who we're playing tonight Kaner. Bunch of young guys. They'll skate circles around you old man."

"Yeah pops, don't let them get too close to my net, eh?" Pat turned slowly to glare across the room at our goalie.

"You are not the youngest guy here either, Merzly. I wouldn't be talking."

"Eh...I'm not a child like Walter, but I'm still younger than you. You were on skates for a few years before my parents even thought about me."

"And I was even farther behind that thought. You were, what, twelve? Already going through puberty when I was a wee fry." I kicked my skates out and crossed my arms behind my head.

"Ah, you are funny Walts. You know Kaner here didn't go through puberty till he was sixteen. Haven't you seen his first attempts at a playoff beard?"

"Whoa, if we're going into playoff beard chirping, then we have to bring up whatever the hell Tyler had on his face last year. Worse than mine by a long shot." Elvis shrugged.

"I have not seen."

I let out a a groan as Pat whipped his phone out. He was cackling as he crossed the room to where our goalie sat. When Elvis guffawed, I shook my head.

"What is that? Looks like you missed some patches shaving, kid." Elvis's laughter trailed off as a familiar figure stepped into the locker room. I was on my feet as soon as I saw him. Pat grinned at the newcomer.

"Now here's a real old geezer. What took you so long to come back Tazer?" I was second in line to grasp Jon's hand. The presence of my former captain and teammate was immediately relaxing.

"Been busy."

"Yeah, at that announcing job, right?" Pat slapped Jon heavily on the back. "How's Sharpy doing?"

"Pain in the ass. Like always. Burish isn't much better." Jon finally caught Elvis's eye. I could read the open apprehension in my friend's face. He wasn't sure if he'd get a similar greeting. He was a new member, after all. He didn't have anything to fear. Jon stuck out a hand in the goalie's direction. "You must be Elvis. Hell of goalie. I was all over your record last year. Damn good rookie season." Elvis's smile was sheepish.