thirty-nine

tyler

The little bump wasn't hard to get over. We talked over the points of the conversation, figuring out where we were both at. I was grateful to find I could admit my real fears and she didn't judge me. I should've known I could trust Halle like this. Yet somehow I hadn't been able to express my real feelings before. Now, a new barrier had been broken down. It made me want to cherish her even more. We'd stayed calm and talked things over. Like adults. We didn't scream at each other and separate for days without talking. We worked through the problem together. Like a unit. Like we were supposed to.

The way we'd figured out what we both really wanted made me sure of what I'd known all along. She'd caught me off guard with the sudden question, and I knew I hadn't responded right. Once I'd explained my side, she'd relaxed. Everything I'd said after had been the truth.

Did I imagine a future with Halle? Absolutely. Every day. I would leave the city and start now if it was the right now if it was right time. I'd been hesitant because of my career and her schooling. I didn't want to force her to take attention away from her passion.

And frankly, at this point in my career, I didn't think a family was a good idea. I was constantly traveling and away from home. There was a reason other players with the same caliber of expectations hadn't had kids for years into their career. Sidney Crosby wasn't even married yet. It was too much to handle. The press, the fans, other players. I couldn't imagine what reaction I'd get from them. Criticism and hate, most likely. Not like I didn't get that on the daily. I avoided it at all costs.

That was what Halle and I had settled on. We were too young. The times would come. For now, we were content to living on our own and fulfilling our careers. However, marriage was an easier feat. If I could call it that. I knew we were both ready for that. Maybe not now, but within the next two years.

That was my mindset as my third season in the NHL inched forward. I would marry that girl. When, I didn't know. I wanted to set a date to pop the question, but training camp got in the way. After training camp, it was the season openers. Then regular games. Before I knew it, the remainder of 2021 was winding down. Life was flying at an incredible pace. And most of it was away from Halle.

She was always waiting for me when I got home, dutiful as ever. She was perfect in every way. She kept me fed and helped me stretch out. We went on dates or snuggled my off nights away. She worked on her schooling like crazy, keeping her grades up. We had so little time together that Christmas was a welcome break.

We'd agreed to spend it at home in Chicago. We both wanted to see our respective families, but we both needed the time together.

I returned home from a long game to find our apartment completely decked out. A large white artificial Christmas tree was placed in the center of the open living room. There were other ornate snowflake decorations throughout the room. The time and effort put into turning our apartment into a winter wonderland was impressive. I grinned at Halle, who was sitting by the flat fireplace reading a book. She scrambled to her feet when she saw me.

"Hey! You're early."

"Just a little." She wrapped her arms around me, looking up with a gaze of adoration.

"I missed you. Don't leave again."

"Mm not for a few days." Her eyes glittered dangerously. "How were your exams?" She shrugged.