thirty-eight

Game two and three went the same as the first. Nail-biting back and forth with a one goal difference. Tampa won the second, while our boys dominated the third and fourth. I was nervous for the fifth game today. Either the boys walked out champions, or they went on to a game six. There was nothing that could still my fears. Not even the hot Florida weather and the company of my family and Tyler's.

I'd introduced my parents to Tyler's grandma and his uncles and aunts. Apparently every member possible had taken off of work to come support him. Janet was particularly enthusiastic about everything. She'd printed out a giant cutout of Tyler's head. Times five. I almost spit out my coffee when I saw the massive pictures. Susan had looked a little miffed as well. Apparently, Janet had done the printing behind her daughter's back.

I couldn't be happier that Tyler finally had the support system he deserved. A grandmother who held up giant signs for him. Aunts and cousins who proudly made T-Shirt's bearing his name. Uncles who'd done as much research about him as they could and almost knew more than I did. It was overwhelming in the best way possible.

My own family, particularly my mother, was overjoyed to see the support. Hannah complained that we should have made shirts as well. Mason and Tyler's uncle Owen hit things off almost immediately. They both had the whole 'thirty and still a bachelor' vibe going for them.

I'd been rooming with Tayler, Alex, and Lyndsey down in Florida. The four of us were only a small portion of the sold-out hotel that consisted of almost entirely Hawks fans. I had to be proud of the fan base. They'd been loud and proud at every game. Chanting, cheering, encouraging. I wouldn't be surprised if it was solely the fans that encouraged the team to win.

Tonight, the Amalie arena was absolutely electric. And not from the Lightning side of the game. I felt supercharged. I could only imagine how pumped the team was. My shoulders were tense with the stress of the event. A lot was on the line for this game. It was now or never. I was about to witness history, one way or another.

I squeezed Tayler's hand tightly during the majority of warmups and the anthem. When the puck dropped, my world shifted into slow motion. Patrick's feet moved through water as he went after a blue-clad player who possessed the puck. I sighed in relief when he poked the puck away. He sent it to the center of the ice, where Tyler was poised in patience. Like always, the pass was square.

I had to appreciate how well Pat and Tyler worked on a line. Tyler could score or assist almost anyone, but Patrick was different. He was a mentor that turned into competition and a friend. The best kind of partner. Elvis was the only other teammate that had the same level of communication with the captain center.

Tyler sent a pass to Alex, who turned the puck over almost immediately. The Bolts player traveled down and placed a shot on Robin. Thankfully, the giant goaltender was just as much of a brick wall as always. Batting away the weak shot was no trouble. In fact, his block was a perfect hit to a waiting Tyler. Despite the man on his back, Tyler pulled the puck across his body and around the player. And he was off down the ice. Pat was hovering ahead of him. As I watched the defense set to storm in and place a heavy open ice hit on Ty, he sent the puck ahead to Pat. When the player and Tyler collided, the rest of the fans were cheering on Pat's breakaway. I was worried about Tyler.

He was down still, but rising slowly. His slapped a gloved fist on the ground in frustration. When his head leveled, his mouth guard was hanging from the side of his lips. I groaned to see him limping slightly in his skate to the bench.

"Shit Tay. That's not good." I bit my lip nervously.

"He's good. He's good. You'll see. He'll be right back out there in a shift." Tayler's words were drowned out by the cheer that went through the Blackhawks fans. Pat had scored by jamming the puck in, but as soon as the goal horn went off, Duncan had gone after the player who'd hit Tyler. The brawl broke out strongly. Even Patrick got involved. I groaned again. What were they thinking?