forty-four

Eighteen weeks into my pregnancy and I felt absolutely terrible. How was I supposed to endure this for another twenty some weeks?

Even with the support and help from my friends, I missed Tyler. Lyndsey and I leaned each other heavily during the away periods. We were only a month apart, and her experiences were helping me the most. By the three month mark, I couldn't hold back from telling the rest of my friends. I'd gathered everyone at my apartment to treat them with a nice brunch, then announced the news. Ever since then, my days consisted of relaxing with Lyndsey and spinning tales about how our kids would grow up and get married.

Lyndsey was having a girl, Jamie, and I was having a boy, Hunter. One day, Hunter Dewalt would play in the NHL and Jamie DeBrincat would be his supportive and devoted girlfriend. Or the other way around. By the time Jamie was eighteen, there would a large woman's hockey league and the little Cat would be the best forward in history. Hunter would be her loving boyfriend through the long years of hockey. Either way, we promised each other that our kids would be best friends. After all, they were due just a month apart.

I'd tallied up the list of people who knew by now. Every teammate and their significant other. Lauren and Connor. Tyler's coaches and the general manager. My parents. And the Crawfords. A large list that seemed to grow. Only five more months of secret. And a Stanley Cup battle in between then. I remembered the hell of the playoffs. I didn't think I could do that much traveling again. Especially considering my experience with planes the last two times. No, this year would have to be televised support.

In late March, with playoffs approaching quickly, I was growing apprehensive. The Hawks weren't number one like the previous year. A smattering of lost games had put us at number two. Somehow, the Oilers had inched over us by a few points. Losing the race for the presidents trophy was a disappointment. With that set in place, the Hawks were set to play the Dallas Stars in the first round. Until April fourth, the point gathering would be a mad scramble. I knew it was unlikely that Edmonton would fall, unless they lost every game. Either way, playoffs were a definite for this year. I was partially dreading the series.

Tayler, Chaunette, and I were currently headed to my second ultrasound. True to her promise of a crazy baby shower, Tayler wasn't letting me know the gender right away. It was going to be a surprise for Tyler and I. The good thing about the shower was that it would be in July or August. Tyler would be home. Everyone would be home. I would have a decent support crew going into September.

Now that I was officially five months pregnant and more than halfway, I'd started to break down the guest room and transform it. Lauren flew in by choice to help me pick out furnishings, even though I hadn't hired her this time. She insisted that she helped me match the important room to the rest of our living space. Tayler had informed me that Lauren would be privy to the gender as well, for planning reasons.

Now it was finally time for that scan. I settled in to the seat in the ultrasound room for my twenty week appointment. Tayler and Chaunette were excitedly talking. I'd tuned them out a bit ago, focusing on the discomfort of my leggings. It was the first time I was realizing that my pants didn't quite fit right anymore. I was dreading having to shop for maternity clothes. That was what Chaunette was for. Her experience was something I was grateful of. She knew everything there was to worry about during these weeks. She'd given me articles and books and magazines to read. She'd told me her troubles during her pregnancies with Dax and Andy. Of course, I was my own person, but it helped to know what I might experience.

My friends stopped talking as Dr. Kafali appeared. The woman's smile helped me to relax slightly.

"Good morning ladies. How are you?"

A chorus of 'good' replied. She nodded, bustling to snap a pair of gloves on.

"Ok, Halle. You know the drill." I pulled my shirt up, shivering just like last time. Tayler let out a small gasp.