thirty-two

tyler

I was tense from the multi-game road trip. The first two games had gone well against St. Louis and Minnesota. Until the end, when we were more tired. We'd lost the last two in less than stellar performances. Goals had gone up on the board, but we'd choked defensively in the power plays in both games. I'd been dealt one of the penalties that resulted in the game winning goal, so I felt partially responsible. Despite wanting to be encouraging to my teammates, I was still annoyed and upset with myself and how I'd performed.

So much so that I completely forgot about what was waiting for me at home. I hadn't checked my phone in hours, not wanting to see the disappointment pouring in from fans. I unlocked the apartment door, my feet dragging. I didn't know where Kirby was, I hadn't seen his car in the lot on my way in. Confusion crossed my mind when the sound of the TV greeted me. The memory came crashing back.

"Oh thank god." I groaned out loud. Almost immediately, I heard the thump of feet on the wood flooring. My bag slipped on my shoulder, falling to the floor by a pile of shoes. Her shoes. I met her halfway.

All my worries slipped away when I wrapped my arms around Halle. I buried my head into her hair, letting out a breath. I could relax for a few days now. Halle was here, and now we could go on a quick vacation away from this Windy City. Even after that, she'd still be here.

Halle pulled away from me, grinning.

"Come on, you need to pack. We don't have much time."

"What time are we leaving?"

"Elvis and Alex are coming to pick us up at six. Which is in two hours. So you should pack your bag for the trip. Mines already done."

"Someone's excited." I smiled down at her, kissing the top of her head lightly.

"Of course I am. The place is stunning. And I get to enjoy it with you. And Lex and Elvis."

She pushed me down the hall to the bedroom, where I was immediately engrossed in shoving clothes into a bag. Halle sat on the bed while I packed, scrolling through her phone.

Three hours later, in a whirlwind of activity, I found myself sitting on a plane next to Halle. She was chattering happily with Alex and Elvis, who were seated in front of us. Despite knowing we had four days off, I was still thinking about the games after and All Star week. My thoughts prevented me from holding a conversation like Halle was.

After an hour on the plane, she relaxed into quiet. Her head lolled over to rest on my shoulder. Another two hours of not moving ensued. I didn't dare to shift out of fear of waking her. I was content to look out the window and watch the clouds sail by. It was like watching the plane split the time zones in half. We'd left Chicago at six, and after the five hour plane ride, it would be eight when we arrived. I wondered how jet-lagged we would be. I had to hope that traveling all over the country did something to combat my tiredness, but Halle didn't experience the time zone warp the same way I did.

For the last hour of our flight, Halle woke up and I found the enthusiasm to talk to my teammate and his girlfriend. Elvis and Alex had been here the previous Christmas and had thoroughly enjoyed the resort. I was excited to see what it was like. I was more excited to meet up with my friends. At this point, I wasn't sure who was actually showing up, but based on who'd I'd talked to I was looking forward to the mid-season reunion.