forty-nine

tyler

After our wedding in the summer, Halle and I decided to visit Boston. It was mostly so I could watch a few Red Sox games without fear of my teammates ragging on me. Halle wanted to see the city I'd grown up, and I finally felt ready to show it to her. Despite all the bad memories and craziness of my childhood, I couldn't deny that this was my origin story.

I wanted Halle to meet my coaches and their families. The people that had truly raised me were still so important in my life. I hadn't seen them in years. It was time for a visit.

We landed in the city at night. Hunter was already out, sleeping peacefully in his carrier. I collected our luggage while Halle carefully maneuvered him through the airport. The next day would be crammed with activities, and we needed to get some rest in before they came.

I rented a car from the agency at the airport, just like I always did when on vacation. I carefully loaded our things into the car while Halle strapped Hunter in. He was still asleep, thankfully.

As we drove, I pointed to the landmarks of my childhood. A church I'd been an altar boy in. The Catholic school I'd attended on the funds of my coaches. It was all directly in the middle of the city. My heart jumped with excitement when I caught sight of the familiar ice rink. Our hotel was right next to it. We could check in and relax for the night before heading out in morning for a busy day.

Halle looked a little tired, but her eyes lit up when I pointed out the rink. Her eyes flicked over the entrance to the arena.

"Oh, could you imagine if Hunter grew up and played hockey where you did?"

"It would be cool..." I faltered. "But I would take Chicago over Boston any time. I do like this city, but the memories are a little too rough a for me. It would be nice to raise him as Patriot and Red Sox fans, though." Halle made a face.

"You and your Boston sports. What's wrong with the Cubs and Bears? You like the Bulls...why not them?"

"I only like the Bulls because I wasn't a big basketball fan in my childhood...and Zach LaVine has proven to be a big Hawks fan...remember when we went to a game and he wanted a picture with me? Cool guy."

"Yeah...you didn't shut up about it for a week straight. You posted the picture on Instagram, remember?"

I smirked, shrugging. I maneuvered the car into a parking space. As Halle hoisted Hunter's car seat onto her hip, I grabbed the luggage. Between the diaper bag and both suitcases filled for a few days, I was slightly strained. I verbally complained.

"Jesus Halls. Did you need to pack this much? Your bag is like thirty pounds heavier than mine."

"Sorry." She made a face at me. "Try lugging around enough outfits to keep me looking interesting. And I packed all of Hunter's clothes in my bag. He has to look just as presentable."

She had a point. As Halle checked in, I piled our things onto a bell cart. When she returned to me with two room keys, we headed for the elevator. Hunter started to murmur in his carrier, bright eyes turning to look at me. I grinned down at him.

"Morning buddy." Halle laughed slightly.

"It's not morning Ty."

"He doesn't know that." Halle shrugged in response.

In our room, Halle set up the portable crib. Hunter settled down almost instantly. I had to hope it was for the night. We'd already be up an hour earlier than he was used to. That in itself was enough to be daunting. He might be cranky. Sleeping through the night would help me prepare for that. Although Halle would be dealing with him more than I was.