<19>

Eli:

I pick myself up off the chair that I fell into, as my father helps me stand.

"Eli? Is everything ok?" Jessica's worried eyes hurt me a little.

"Why Eli?!" Ember roars in my head.

"It's not right Em, you know that..."

"Yes..." I clear my throat. "Everything is fine Jess." I try to sound totally normal, as I run my hands through my hair. I smile down at her again as her eyebrows knit together, probably trying to get a read on me.

My father stands there staring at us with a big toothy grin. He normally looks pretty scary, but something about Jessica seems to make him act like his silly dad self. I'm waiting for the horrible Dad joke to come.

"I love titan's jokes Eli!" Ember yips in my brain.

"Yes Father?" I look over at him.

"I just came in to ask Jessica if she heard the rumor about butter?"

I roll my eyes.

Jessica looks up at him confused, "I'm sorry King Christopher, I'm not sure what you mean..."

"Well I'm not going to spread it!" My father says wiggling his eyebrows at her as she immediately starts cracking up.

There it is.

I sigh. "I can't even be upset Em."

"Why be mad at Titan's joke?! Titan funny." Ember yips in my brain.

"He made her laugh, I love her laugh."

A smile spreads across my face as he sits down on the bed next to her. "How are you feeling Jess? Are you ok if I ask you some questions about what happened tonight?"

I felt myself move back into the chair next to her bed and take her hand.

She instantly looks up at me and smiles big.

"Well, sure King Christopher, but..." She takes a deep breath before glaring at me again. "I have a questions for you."

My father's face lights up. He has a soft spot for Jessica already. He knows she's my mate and I think he secretly always wanted a daughter. This last week he and my mother have found every reason to give her whatever she wanted. They even stocked the freezer full of ice cream after they realized she liked it.

"Of course Jessica. Please, ask me anything." He sat up a little straighter.

Jessica pulled her legs in, sitting back on her heels. She probably wanted to be taller, since we sort of towered over her even while seated.

"So, the full moon is coming up, and, I want to be with Ember. Please? I really truly believe Ember would never hurt me." She gives him the same puppy dog eyes she gave me the other night.

My heart fluttered in my chest.

"How can we deny mate Eli?" Ember whines.

My father let's out a big sigh, looking up at me with a half smile. He looks back to Jessica. "You're right Jessica. I don't think Ember would ever hurt you. I honestly don't think he could." He chuckles looking back at her desperate eyes. "You're quite powerful." He crosses his arms over his chest as Jessica's smile grows. I roll my eyes. There's no way he's going to just ignore a century old law.

"Shush Eli! Mate deserve time with me!" Ember growls in my mind.

My father is still tapping his chin as I sigh. "Father, I already told her about the law..." He hold his hand up to silence me.