Chapter 04

"C'mon, Mar, give it a try!" Jenna tried for the hundredth time that week to convince Marlene to add her name for the tryouts. "I saw you playing two years ago at your summer house! You will make a great chaser! Please come!"

     "Well, it's too late now to put my name down," Marlene excused. "The tryouts are in less than an hour–"

     "–Good thing I'm captain this year, then," Jenna replied wittily. "I'll add your name myself. No more excuses! You're doing this!"

     "But–"

     "–Nope, can't hear a thing," said Jenna, trying to ignore her as she got ready to go down to the Quidditch pitch to get everything ready. "See you in an hour. Don't be late."

     Throughout that week, Jenna had borrowed every book she could find about Quidditch in the library and read them whenever she had free time.

     She started to learn different techniques by heart and tried to memorize all the fouls — just in case their match with Slytherin would go wrong.

     Everyone was in the Quidditch pitch, ready at exactly six. Even Marlene had showed up, more nervous that Jenna had ever seen her, which was an unusual thing.

Everyone was there, except for James and Sirius, who came about half an hour later, carrying their broomsticks over their shoulders.

     As she watched them waltz through the pitch, walking as if they were the most important people on earth, all Jenna really wanted to do was to beat the grin off their faces with a beater's bat.

    But she forced herself to remain calm, reminding herself that she was the one in charge here.

     "Okay, now that there seems to be twelve people here," Jenna started, looking at the list, "I can put you in two groups so we can recreate an actual game of Quidditch for the tryouts; but without the seekers and the snitch, of course. It's the easiest way to decide–"

     "– Says who?" Asked Sirius loudly, cutting her off, causing Jenna to glare at him, irritated at the interruption.

     "Says Zacharias Mumps in Quidditch Through the ages. And mind you," said Jenna sternly, "my copy of it is fairly heavy. So unless you want me to beat you with it, get to work."

     James snorted at that, receiving a smack on the back of his head by Sirius.

     "I can't believe she's making us do the tryout!" she heard Sirius complain to James. "We've been on this team for two years now!"

     Jenna grinned triumphantly at that remark but ignored it, starting to put them into two groups.

     When she saw James and Sirius automatically walk towards each other, she separated them, putting them in opposing teams.

    By her whistle, the match started and she watched the people who wanted to try out for chasers try to throw the Quaffle at the keepers, meanwhile the ones trying out for beaters did their best to knock the players off their brooms with the bludger.

      Jenna was looking at them all with precise, noting to herself that James was easily the best chaser between them all and Sirius the perfect beater; but she wasn't going to give them the satisfaction by telling them that.

     Although Jenna was slightly distracted when she spotted Remus Lupin in the stands with a book in his lap, glancing up to watch every once in a while.

     Marlene was second best between the ones trying out for chasers, but Sirius threw the bludger at her direction, knocking her down. Jenna went forward to check on her, but thankfully, Marlene wasn't hurt and shot back into the air shortly after that.

     Thirty minutes had barely passed from the game that James had become Sirius's number one target.

     And at last, with waving the bat in his hand, Sirius sent the bludger right into James's chest, making him fall down hard.

     Slightly worried, Jenna flew downwards and landed on the ground near where James laid on his back as Sirius laughed in the air. Jenna got off her broom, walking towards James, who seemed to be unable to move.

     She took the opportunity, and in a quick motion she lowered herself and sat down on James's chest, preventing him from standing up.

     "The great and mighty James Potter!" Jenna said loudly and dramatically, as if reading Shakespeare.

     She went on, "Born into the noble house of Potter!"

     James groaned, feeling as if a hippogriff was sitting on top of him.

     "His powers know no limits!"

     James tried pushing her away, but he was simply too weak at the moment.

     "He bravely steps onto the Quidditch pitch," said Jenna, gesturing her hands around as if in a dramatic play. "The crowd erupts at his glorious manner, chanting his name!"

     James fluttered his eyes open, looking up at his twin with pleading eyes, but Jenna wasn't finished yet,

     "He mounts his broom and takes off! The wind tousles his awesome hair! And then," Jenna's grin widened, finally looking down at him, "he gets hit by a bludger five seconds later."

     "Piss off," was all James managed to say.

     Jenna chuckled, getting off of her brother's chest. She then bent down and said in a whisper that only James could hear, "You alright, J.P?"

     "What do you think?" He snapped, but then couldn't help but smile when Jenna stood up and held out her hand for him to take, and he took it gladly, standing up in pain.

     "Thank you, everyone! That'll be enough for today!" Jenna yelled at the people in the pitch. "You'll see the results in a few days in the common room!"

     Throwing James's arm around her shoulder for support, she tried to keep him up to take him to hospital wings.

     Sirius quickly flew down and got off his broom. He went on the other side of James and placed his other arm over his shoulder, helping Jenna to hold him up as they carried him out of the pitch.

     The whole way up, James kept cursing Sirius but he laughed each time, saying, "What did you expect, Prongs? To caress you with my bat? Knocking people off their brooms is what beaters are supposed to do!"

     "I hope you're happy now, Jenna." James snarled.

     "Oh, I am, J.P. And you have no idea just how much." Jenna said in a sneer.

     "At least I suppose we did get into your precious team?" James chided. "After being brutally hurt!"

     "Oh, stop making such a fuss." Jenna rolled her eyes teasingly. "It's not like your head was chopped off or anything."

     But before James could reply, they heard someone calling them from behind. It was Remus and Peter, finally catching up with them.

     "It seemed painful, Prongs," said Peter, looking bewildered. "Does it hurt?"

     "What do you think?" James scoffed, but secretly enjoying every ounce of attention he could get.

     "Nice show, by the way," Remus said.

     "Thanks," Sirius and James said together arrogantly.

     "I was actually talking to her," said Remus, receiving glares from the two boys. "I really enjoyed your little speech on James's chest. Made my day." He said with a chuckle.

     Jenna laughed lightly, blushing as she looked away, not being able to say anything else on the matter.