Chapter 115

When the Hogwarts Express stopped in the Hogsmeade station, all eight Gryffindors got out of the train together, knowing that it was the last time they were going to hear the familiar voice of Hagrid, shouting above the crowd, "Firs' years! Firs' years this way!"

"Good luck, Marvin," Alice smiled at the little boy warmly and so he blushed, leaving their side to join the other first years.

"I can't believe this is our last year here," Lily said with a sad tone as they were getting into the carriages. "It passed so quickly..."

"Last year, and I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with my life after I leave here," said Marlene grimly.

"I'm sure you'll figure it out when the time's right, Mar," said Alice with a hopeful glimmer in her eyes.

"Yeah," Jenna nodded, holding back a grin, "and even if it comes to the worse, you can always come back to Hogwarts and help Filch around."

"Haha," Marlene said blankly, glaring at Jenna who smirked.

When they walked into the Great Hall, an overwhelming feeling filled their hearts. But their moods became even gloomier when they looked around and realized that there were even less students there than last year.

       Parents had refused to let their children attend Hogwarts, considering how things were getting worse and worse everyday in the Wizarding world.

The sorting ceremony soon started and the crowd of nervous looking first years walked into the Great Hall, led by Professor McGonagall, with Marvin among them, looking more worried than anyone else there.

"Why does Marvin look so pale?" Lily asked apprehensively, turning to face Marlene.

"That's understandable..." Marlene mumble with a hint of a smirk playing on her lips.

"What do you mean?" Lily frowned at her.

Marlene's grin widened. "I may or may not have told him that the sorting is going to hurt."

"Marlene!" Lily scolded her, shaking her head in disappointment.

They all watched eagerly, until McGonagall finally called out his name, "McKinnon, Marvin."

The little blond boy gulped nervously, taking slow steps toward the stool and sitting down hesitantly, waiting for McGonagall to put the Sorting Hat on him.

They all watched him warily in silence, until the Hat finally shouted out, "HUFFLEPUFF!"

They all cheered him up as Marvin stood off the stool, smiling at Marlene and her friends before joining the rest of the Hufflepuffs at their table.

After the delicious feast, Dumbledore asked the prefects to show the first years to their common rooms. But Lily and James stayed seated while the fifth year Gryffindor prefects stood up to lead away their new house mates.

"Won't you guys go?" Sirius asked Lily and James.

"No, we gave each prefect different duties," said James.

"Yeah," Lily nodded, "usually the fifth year prefects escort the first years."

"Then what will the rest of you do?" Jenna questioned.

"Patrol the corridors for one hour after curfew every night to make sure everyone's back in their common rooms," said James with a grin.

"We're gonne be screwed this year with you two idiots in charge," said Jenna jokingly, standing up with the rest of them.