Chapter 62

"What!?" Jenna exclaimed, her eyes widening at her mother's statement.

     But Mrs. Potter only smiled wider as she looked down kindly at her daughter.

     "Okay... um..." Jenna started awkwardly. "Mum, I really love you... but you're nuts!"

     "Woah! You kiss your mother with that mouth!?" Mrs. Potter scolded teasingly and Jenna chuckled.

     "Look, you don't know Sirius like I do," said Jenna. "He flirts with every girl like that."

     "Oh, but it's not the flirting parts you told me about that got me thinking that," Mrs. Potter explained. "It's the little things he does."

     "Like what?" Jenna scoffed stubbornly.

     "Like his Christmas present."

     "Getting people gifts for Christmas is tradition, in case it has escaped your notice," Jenna said playfully, letting out a chuckle.

     "Maybe," she shrugged. "But you said that he was kind with you until he found out you hadn't even bothered opening it, and then went to get back at you by kissing someone you disliked; that Hufflepuff Quidditch captain, Jones."

     "Get back at me?" Jenna repeated in disbelief. "But that's — that's ridiculous!"

     "Well, welcome to a teenage boy's world."

      "Mum—"

      "Listen, Jenna," Mrs. Potter started, lowering her voice. "Someone like Sirius who has been raised in a household which lacked love and affection... it is almost impossible for him to open up to someone. But he did it with you."

     "That's because we're friends," Jenna tried to reason. "He's probably told James the same things. He just trusts us, that's all."

     "Oh, for the love of Godric," Mrs. Potter sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "How you and James get top grades, I'll never know, being so dumb when it comes to common sense."

     "Geez, thanks, mother," said Jenna sarcastically, folding her arms.

     "Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, then," Mrs. Potter shrugged at last, standing up. "I just hope it won't be too late when you find out what you really want."

      And with one last smile, she caressed her daughter's hair softly and then walked out of the kitchen, leaving Jenna sitting there, dazed.

***

That night, Jenna and James were writing out letters to their friends in their living room to invite them to their house for the Quidditch World Cup.

     Fleamont Potter sat in an armchair by the fireplace, reading the Daily Prophet. Meanwhile, Euphemia and Sirius were sitting on the ground, not too far away from the other three Potters, playing a game of Wizard Chess.

     "Ha!" Sirius said triumphantly, having his soldier just beat up Mrs. Potter's.

     But she just gave him a grin before doing her next move and as Sirius's king surrendered, she said proudly, "Checkmate!"

    "Wait — when did you — how did you—?" Sirius frowned, looking down at the board in confusion.

     "I guess it's time for you to meet the brain in the family," she said, grinning.

     "Oh, yes," Jenna started sarcastically, finishing her letter to Alice, "and of course, the most humble person in the family."

     "Nobody likes a smart-arse, Jenna," said Mrs. Potter, waving her wand to neatly put the chess board aside.

     "What?" Fleamont Potter gasped, putting the paper down. "I thought my smart arse was the reason you fell madly in love with me!"

     "See, Jenna?" said Mrs. Potter, turning on her. "I really am humble compared to that father of yours."

     "Now that we're on the topic," Sirius started, standing up and making his way over the couch that James and Jenna were sitting, dropping himself down between them. "How did you guys meet?"

     At that, the couple glanced and each other, breaking into a chuckle as the twins groaned.

     "You had to ask, didn't you?" James asked grumpily, glaring at Sirius.

     "What? Why not?"

     "Because we've heard that story a billion times!" Jenna reasoned, huffing.

     "I like to hear it," Sirius shrugged and smiled, turning to look hopefully at Fleamont and Euphemia.

     "Well," Mrs. Potter started, sitting on the arm of the chair her husband was on. "We met back in our first year at Hogwarts."

"I remember it perfectly," Mr. Potter grinned. "It was our first potion lesson with Professor Slughorn and we were paired up together."

"Things were going smoothly, actually," Mrs. Potter continued. "But then Fleamont went and blew up our cauldron. It just exploded and we were both covered with green slime."

They both laughed, shaking their head at the memory. "And the rest is history," Mr. Potter shrugged. "You know how it goes... I put up my charm on her and Mia simply couldn't resist me."

"Oh, please," Mrs Potter rolled her eyes, although unable to suppress her smile.

"Alright, I'm done," said Jenna, putting her last letter in the envelope.

"I've still need to write Peter's," said James, still busy with his letter to Remus.

"What are you writing them? A novel?" Jenna asked sarcastically.

"Haha," said James flatly. "You know, you should spend more time on important matters other than coming up with your stupid witty comments!"

"What did you say? Oh, I'm sorry, I don't speak dumbass," said Jenna mockingly.

"You want a piece of me, Potter!?" said James sharply, jumping up to his feet angrily.

"No, but I'll turn you into pieces, Potter!" Jenna retored, standing up as well.

"Oh, Godric," Mrs. Potter sighed, rubbing her temples with her eyes closed, as Sirius and Mr. Potter watched them with amusement.