Chapter 170

The Christmas that year was the dullest any one of them had ever had; from the news regarding the deaths or disappearances that they heard on a daily basis, to all the places they were sent, to try and track down Death Eaters or to spy on them.

      On Christmas Eve, instead of being with their families, curled up in their cozy homes and enjoying themselves, the Order members had all gathered at the Headquarters, awaiting the rest. Dumbledore wasn't present that day, leaving Alastor Moody in charge.

     But after around an hour of giving and hearing new information as they sat around the large table, they all suddenly jumped out of their skins and gasped when the doors to the hall burst open and Gideon Prewett stepped inside urgently, supporting his brother up as he was covered in blood.

     Lily immediately got to her feet and ran forward as they set Fabian Prewett down and started to tend to his horrible wounds, seeing as she was the best at healing charms.

     "What happened?" Moody said sharply, glaring at Gideon's direction.

      "They knew we were going to be there," said Gideon, out of breath. His eyes were worriedly fixed on his brother who was barely conscious.

      "They knew?" Jenna asked apprehensively. "But how could they? The mission was set only last night in the meeting!"

     "Well, isn't it a bit fishy that this has been happening for over a year now?" said Sturgis Podmore, frowning slightly.

      "Yes, this wasn't the first time," Moody growled darkly. "And it certainly won't be the last."

       "But what does this mean?" one of the members asked and everyone fell silent. They all knew the answer to that question, but none of them wanted to believe it.

      "It means that there's a traitor among us. But the question is," said Moody, his eyes wandering around the room, "who is it?"

***

That night when Sirius and Jenna went back to their own flat, neither of them talked much right until they'd got ready to go to bed.

      "Sirius?" Jenna whispered as she was standing by the bedroom's window, gazing into the dark night.

     "Hmm?" Sirius called from where he was laying wide awake on the bed, staring up at the ceiling motionlessly.

     "Do you think Moody's right?" she mused, her eyes still fixed outside. "Do we really — do you think there's really a traitor inside the Order?"

      "Yeah, if we look at the facts," said Sirius, causing Jenna to look back at him. "There is no way they could've known about every single one of our operations in the past year. Someone must've told them."

      "But — but who?" Jenna frowned, sitting beside him at the edge of the bed. "These people are like family to us. I can't think of a single person who would betray us like that."

       Sirius shrugged lightly. "I do."

       Jenna's face fell. She gaped at him for long seconds. "You — you do?"

       "It's just a guess." He shrugged again. "But it all fits."

      "Can you tell me what the bloody hell you're talking about?" she said, her eyebrows furrowing. "Who do you think it is?"

      "I can't say." Sirius shook his head, not even looking at her.

     "Why not?"

     "Because I know how you're going to react."

      "Just tell me!"

        "Okay..." said Sirius with a sigh, sitting up on the bed and leaning his back against the headboards, still avoiding Jenna's eyes. "I think it's Remus."

      Jenna's heart sank at those words. He stared at Sirius in silence, her lips parting from the shock.

      "R-remus?" she repeated in a hollow tone, not believing her ears. "But — why on earth would you say that?"

      "Isn't it obvious?" said Sirius, finally turning his head to look up at her. "Look at his kind. Word's been out that Voldemort's trying to recruit werewolves."

        Jenna suddenly felt it hard to breathe. She couldn't even get herself to blink. But shaking her head, she finally got off the bed and stood to her feet angrily.

       "Remus!?" she said, no longer talking in shock. She was spitting the words out from anger. "The guy who you figured out about his condition in second year? The same boy you and James and Peter risked your lives for? The guy that has been living in a small cottage miles away from any human being, afraid that he'd bring harm upon them? The one that you've been calling your brother all these years!? That Remus!?"

       Sirius rolled his eyes. "Knew you'd take it this way."

       "And I have a good reason to take it this way!" Jenna shouted. "This — this is outrageous! I — I can't believe you — how could you accuse your friend of such a thing!"

       "Because he's a werewolf!" Sirius finally snapped back. "He might've been an innocent boy back at school, but people change! His kind kill and rip out people just for good measure! Look at Fenrir Greyback!"

      "You're comparing Remus with Greyback!?" Jenna yelled at him, the feeling of rage surging within her. "Greyback was the one who turned Remus into a werewolf when he was five! He attacks innocent children for fun! Do you honestly believe that Remus would do this to anyone!? WHAT HAS GOT INTO YOU!?"

       Sirius remained quiet, looking away from her and staring at the wall before him blankly.

      "Guess you're right... people do change," Jenna said quietly, still looking down at him in disbelief. "Clearly you have."

      That finally got Sirius to look up at her and so with his gaze sharp, he got to his feet, walking toward her.

      "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Sirius snarled.

      "It means that the boy I knew back at school would've risked his life for the people he called his brothers!" Jenna snapped back. "He trusted them! But now... it's like I don't even know you anymore..."

      Sirius only looked down at her with his now cold grey eyes, as if daring her to go on. But Jenna only shook her head at him and turned on her heels to leave the room.

       Although she came to a halt and stopped in her tracks when she heard Sirius say from behind her,

       "Good to know your feelings for Remus are back."