Chapter 144

The next day, Sirius and Jenna went back to the Potter Manor to visit James. They expected him to be in bed, fussing over his wounds and being dramatic as always.

But they took aback when they found James up in the living room with Lily by his side as they were sitting on the couch, in the middle of a conversation.

"Hey, J.P," Jenna waved at him as her and Sirius walked into the living room. "Where's Mum and Dad?"

"Upstairs," said James. "Dad just arrived a few hours ago. He didn't seem too well, though. But he's resting now."

"What?" Jenna frowned. "What happened?"

"No trouble with the Death Eaters," Lily tried to reassure her. "He just seemed exhausted, I guess. Looked really pale when he arrived and went straight to bed. Mickey's been bringing him tea all day long."

"Oh... all right..." Jenna muttered, but still slightly concerned for her father.

   "How are you feeling, Prongs?" Sirius asked as they sat down.

   "Better." James nodded. His wounds had fully healed by now.

"Good, I was thinking maybe we could accompany Moony tomorrow night," said Sirius. "It's a full moon."

   "Yeah, of course."

A short silence fell among the four after that, none of them knowing what to say.

"James and I were just talking," Lily started, breaking the silence, "about how the Death Eaters had known that you were planning on spying on them last night."

   "I was wondering the same thing ever since," said Sirius. "We were in hideout. Dumbledore had told us exactly where to stay hidden at the meeting. But they found us. Caught us off guard."

"You — you don't suppose someone from inside the Order warned them, do you?" Jenna asked hesitantly.

"What?" James raised a brow at her. "You think there's a spy inside the Order?"

   "I'm just saying it's a possibility." Jenna shrugged.

She was obviously more paranoid than anyone else in the group when it came to spying, seeing as that was exactly her own intentions for the future.

   "Look, there can't be a single person among us who's a traitor," James said firmly, looking as if he were offended. "These people are risking their lives for us without even knowing us, just as we have agreed to do the same for them. We're like family now, and we all know family doesn't specifically mean by blood."

He sent a glance at Sirius who nodded lightly in agreement, so James went on,

"These people are all we have and if we start fighting among ourselves... we're doomed. We have to trust each other."

Nobody said anything, all gazing down and thinking that James was probably right.

     Soon, Lily stood up to go upstairs and check if Mrs. Potter needed anything and to also announce that Jenna and Sirius had arrived.

The moment she disappeared up the stairs, James suddenly turned to the other two, speaking urgently and in a hushed tone, "Look, there's something you have to know."

"What?" Jenna questioned.

"I — well — I was planning on proposing to Lily tonight."

"What!?" Sirius and Jenna exclaimed together.

"Shhh!" James glared at them, glancing back at the staircase to check.

"What's the rush?" Jenna asked him. "Didn't you just almost die last night? I love to see you two together, more than anything. But we're at war... what if something happens to one of you?"

  "The more reason I want to do this sooner," James reasoned. "Every breath that we take might be our last. And if I'm going to die tomorrow... then at least I want to die knowing that I was with her."

Jenna gaped at him, feeling her throat go sore. She hated the thought. She hated to think that there might not be a tomorrow. And last night when she had seen her brother hurt, it was like all her worst fears had become true. She couldn't even bear the thought.

"Mum and Dad already know," James went on, "After dinner I'm gonna take her for a walk in the yard — nowhere beyond the protective enchantments of the house, obviously — and I'll just do it then. I've thought of a speech and everything. And I'll see if she's okay with a small Christmas wedding ceremony. I know it's only less than two months away, but the sooner we do this, the better."

"If she says yes, you mean," Sirius said with a grin.

James glared at him. "She will say yes."

  "Okay, whatever helps you sleep at night." Jenna smirked.

"You two are gits." James shook his head at them. "Which reminds me... Do not come outside after dinner when I take Lily out. I don't want any interruption. This — this can easily be one of the most important moments of my life. I don't want it ruined."

"Woah, who said we were gonna ruin it?" Sirius crossed his arms stubbornly.

"Knowing you two idiots, you probably will," said James, but before Sirius and Jenna could retort, they heard footsteps from upstairs. "Promise me you won't interrupt!" James hissed quietly, pointing a warning finger at them.

"Fine, promise!" Jenna threw her hands up defensively, before they were joined by Lily and Mr. and Mrs. Potter.

At night, they were all finally called up to dinner. They all walked up to the dining room, Sirius and Jenna walking behind them.

"What's with the evil face, Jenny?" Sirius asked Jenna quietly, so only she could hear him.

"Oh, nothing..." She shrugged innocently, before smirking again. "Let's just say I'm going to get back at Jamesie Boy for all the times he ruined our private moments."

"I thought you promised you wouldn't interrupt them," said Sirius, even though he too was smiling.

"Oh, I'm not gonna interrupt anything," said Jenna with a grin, "I'm just going to have a little fun, that's all."